info shows 12gb worth of photos in library, but iphoto app shows 17gb?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mdwsta4, Oct 5, 2007.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i recently moved my iphoto library back to my MBP after having it stored on an external hard drive for quite some time. my question is, when i'm in iphoto and i select all the photos, it states i have 12gb worth of pictures. however, when i'm in finder and right click on iphoto, it states the library contains 17gb. now i can understand a little difference for the application and whatnot, but 5gb?! WTF? anyone know why this would be or how to fix it?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

iPhoto always keeps originals when editing images. So, if you've modified half your images, the total space taken up by the library will larger by that amount.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The total includes all the originals of any edited, cropped, adjusted or rotated photos, a load of thumbnails, assorted data of existing and deleted photos, etc. My advice would be to leave it alone. No good comes of trying to clean up.

4. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the quick replies.
    well cropped/edited photos in there are done for a reason. i keep RAW files on my external HD and on DVDs. i don't need iphoto to do it as well.
    there's no way to get rid of them?

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The only sensible way is not to import them into iPhoto until you have edited them. Messing around with the iPhoto Library is nothing but trouble. Believe me, I've tried.