Infuse 5 for iOS Released

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by firecore, Oct 21, 2014.

1. firecore, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017

firecore macrumors 6502a

firecore

Infuse has been called 'the best media player for iPhone and iPad' by Cult of Mac (http://www.cultofmac.com/256655/inf...or-iphone-and-ipad-gets-redesigned-for-ios-7/), and today it's getting even better.

Infuse 5 is a massive update. It's been many months in the making, and is the most ambitious update we've ever had. It has tons of new features, some really great playback improvements, and a whole host of thoughtful little changes to make your life better.

New home screen with 'Up Next' list
    New for Apple TV is an awesome way to find something great to watch. The new Up Next list is made up of two sections - the first will show the items you're currently watching (in progress) and the second will show items that have been recently added.

[​IMG]

Split View & Picture-in-Picture
    Native iPad multi-tasking has finally arrived, and it's awesome! Now you can catch up on the latest season of The Walking Dead while composing an email, or browse the web while downloading videos from your Mac. Productivity doubled!

[​IMG]

Cloud streaming
    Access your videos from anywhere by storing them in the cloud. Now you can browse, stream, and download files stored in popular cloud file services including Dropbox, Google Drive, and OneDrive.

[​IMG]

Advanced iCloud syncing
    Setting up and keeping multiple devices in sync is a pain...a huge pain. Worry no more! Infuse will now use iCloud to keep all your shares, favorites, metadata, playback settings, and Up Next items in sync on all your devices.

[​IMG]

And so much more...
    Revamped video playback, automatic subtitle downloads, iOS Document Picker, and new translations are just a few of the other things included in this release. A complete list of what's new in Infuse 5 can found here.

Try Infuse 5...for free!
    There's so many great new things to explore in Infuse 5 we wanted to find a way to give everyone a chance to try it. Starting today, you can download Infuse 5 and try all the awesome new Pro features for an entire month, for free! If you love it (and we know you will) you can continue for just $6.99 per year (that's only 58 cents per month!). This new model will allow us to continue building awesome new features, and get them into your hands faster than ever before. We're also keeping the standalone Pro version available if you prefer to go that route. Check out the Infuse product page for full details on all the new Pro features.

Thanks!
    We're so so incredibly grateful for our amazing team, our awesome testers, and our fantastic users who have been a key part of the Infuse story since the original release in 2013. It's gotten so much better because of you, and we can't wait to to continue working to make it even more amazing. We think you're going to love this new release so I hope you check out everything that's new in Infuse 5.

As always, we love hearing from you - so please feel free to post a comment below or drop us a note with any thoughts or questions you may have.

Full details on what's new can be found here.
    https://firecore.com/blog/16049

Download Infuse
    https://apps.firecore.com/infuse

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Just tried to stream from my wifi hub. It's amazing. GREAT update! I love that I can favorite folders to get to stuff quicker too! :D

3. firecore thread starter macrumors 6502a

firecore

Thanks!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

4. LouisLoh macrumors regular

I'm previously bought Infuse through an IAP. Now it's prompting me to pay another $2.99 to upgrade to the Pro version? Is that an error or a genuine requirement?

5. firecore thread starter macrumors 6502a

firecore

All Pro features from Infuse 2 transfer over automatically. The IAP prompt shown in Infuse 3 is an optional upgrade.

A bit more info on how upgrades work in Infuse 3 can be found here.
    http://forum.firecore.com/topic/12526

6. Poopsie macrumors newbie

I am trying the free version, it's gorgeous for storing and viewing videos!! One question, If I have a few episodes from each year in a show, is it possible to have a master show folder, with year folders underneath it?

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Does it use the newly made public videotoolbox api for proper seamless hardware decoding on iOS 8? been waiting for first video player to do this and not do some bodge to get hardware decoding by remuxing mkv on fly into a quicktime stream.

8. firecore thread starter macrumors 6502a

firecore

For remote files (streamed from a Mac, PC or NAS) Infuse will automatically keep everything organized if arranged into folders by season.

For example

Big Bang Theory
    > Season 1
    > Season 2
    > Season 3
    > etc...

----------

Since it's just been added in iOS 8 it hasn't made it into Infuse yet - but it will be added soon.

9. Poopsie macrumors newbie

10. firecore thread starter macrumors 6502a

firecore

Local files will be grouped into seasons (each season's episodes would appear as a single item) and each season will be listed separately in the main menu.

11. mango316 macrumors regular

Just tried this app and it pretty darn nice, it's now on my list of must buy app :)

12. tarasis, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Any plans to support files outside the local network? For instance via SFTP or WebDAV? Do you support SMB over the Internet?

13. firecore thread starter macrumors 6502a

firecore

Great! Happy to hear you're enjoying it. :)

----------

Yes - WebDAV is supported, and FTP/SFTP will be available in an upcoming version.

SMB can work over the internet, but it depends on your ISP.

14. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Cheers for the quick answer. That is very helpful, that and the news about Videotoolbox API support.

One last question if I may, for over SFTP will you still be supporting MKV over AirPlay like I understand works for local network.

15. firecore thread starter macrumors 6502a

firecore

Yep. As long as you can stream it to Infuse, it can be streamed via AirPlay.

I should note that native AirPlay doesn't work for all video types, but pretty much every MKV file should work just fine.

16. tarasis, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014

tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Cheers and btw thumbs up for giving support / answering questions on a Saturday!

I should add, your answers and support made a sale :)

17. Sparxxx macrumors regular

Hopefully HTTP streaming will be supported soon.
    Tried to stream from my PC over HTTP some live channels and it didn't work.
    With nPlayer and VLC it works.
    thanks!

18. Ardmanz macrumors regular

I downloaded this last night and it's great.

Quick question. Can I delete files from a shared network drive directly from the app? I normally delete something after I've watched it.

19. firecore thread starter macrumors 6502a

firecore

Yep - it's something we're working to add.

----------

Great to hear!

Right now, streamed files cannot be deleted from within the app itself. We need to find a good way to integrate this so people aren't accidentally deleting files.

----------

Thanks!

Feel free to get in touch if we can do anything else to assist.

20. ReallyNiceGuy macrumors member

ReallyNiceGuy

I tried the free version. Is there a way to sync audio and video if it's a bit off on a UPnP stream? Unfortunately I couldn't test .mkv in the free version and wanted to also test AirPlay. This also wasn't available in the free version.

21. Ardmanz macrumors regular

It's not the end of the world because I can just load up teamviewer and delete them but this would make it pretty much perfect for me.

Keep up the good work!

22. firecore thread starter macrumors 6502a

firecore

Subtitle timing can be adjusted in the current version, and audio timing is something that should make it into a future version.

Some videos require expensive licenses, so they aren't available in the free version. AirPlay is also a Pro-only feature, but it's native AirPlay and works exceptionally well.

Hope this helps. :)

----------

Great - thanks!

----------

Thanks! :)

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Consider throwing some ads into the free version but allowing people to use all the features. All I care about is HD MKV. Not willing to drop $10 just to try it. No offense. Just been burned too many times.

24. firecore thread starter macrumors 6502a

firecore

Many HD MKV files will work in the free version, they just cannot have DTS or Dolby audio.

The Pro version of Infuse includes some technology that requires expensive licenses, and sadly ads in the free version wouldn't be enough to cover that.