Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravidsand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Have tried everything I could think of and have been searching through the net for days, please help...

After connecting to my Facebook account on Settings -> Facebook, it seems like the connection is fine (showing my name and asking to allow download contacts and events from facebook to my iphone), but - nothing works:
- Contacts are not being synced (i've tapped "update all contacts" - it said "0 contacts updated"), there is not even "groups" button on the upper left in he contacts app like my friend's phone.
- Events the inherent calendar app are not being synced.
- None of my third-party apps are allowed to use facebook (including thrid-party calenders, instagram ect.). Trying to access facebook will bring a pop-up saying "there was a problem requesting access from facebook"

Every now and than, a pop-up appears asking me toe "Enter the password for ***** in Settings". I tap "settings" in this pop-up, a windows appear with "There was a problem accessing you account. Please reenter the password for *****". I enter the password, sometimes it pops up with "error signing in - the user name or password are incorrect" (which they are not, believe me). after a few trials it accepts my password, but nothing changes.

What i've done so far (and it didn't help):
- A hard reset.
- Deleting the facebook account and app and re-installing it.
- Changing the facebook password.
- Going to settings -> facebook, under "allow there apps to use your account": only contacts and the inherent calendar appear, and they set on "on". changing it to "off" and "on" again did not help.
- Going to settings -> privacy -> facebook: it shows "Applications that have requested access to your facebook account will appear here", the list is empty (IMPORTANT: even the facbook app is not showing here!)
- Going to settings -> general -> restrictions, it is set on "off".

I'm with iphone 5, ios 6.1.2.... please help me...
Thanks.

Last edited:

Ljwinter

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I made a thread on this yesterday and I was told to eat a magic potato. I tried that and it still didn't work.

Seriously, I'm having the same issue. At first I thought maybe it was a jailbreak issue, but no because I'm having the same issue on my iPad that isn't jailbroken. I updated my iPad to the newest firmware and still nothing. The only thing I can think of is the latest Facebook app update broke something.

But feel free to eat a magic potato, might work for you. :rolleyes:

ravidsand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Hahaha I saw that post!!

I don't think its the Facebook update, It's not even about the facebook app (the one that is on the homescreen), it's the one in the settings - It looks like they are separate entities (you can connect through the app and without being linked through the inherent thingy, or vice-versa), the facebook app works fine, its the one in the settings that won't let any app to access it... not even the facebook homescreen app, as I wrote (everyone has "facebook" under "apps that have requested access" under Facebook in settings -> privacy, but not me and my @#$$#$%%^@# machine).....

I'll be happy to hear updates if you'll manage to get it solved (of find magic potatoes, whatever comes first ^_^ )

Ljwinter

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I saw something on a different site where it's affecting people on any version of iOS 6. Also giving the same issues on mountain lion. Must be an Apple issue then? I tried calling tech support yesterday and I was told to google it and see what I could find. Thanks, Apple!

ravidsand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Well.... I think the problem is a little bigger than I thought... It's not just Facebook o_O

Apparently I have a problem signing in to ANY service through the iPhone: I can't log in to iCloud (I've synced my contacts manually), neither to iMessage.
I've had glimpses of decent connection but not more than that, I managed once to log in to iMessage, but it dissppeared the next time I've reset the device, and like Ljwinter, I've had a short connection to Facebook enabling me to sync about 20 contacts, but that's it, and after I've deleted them and tried to log in again - I've failed.

What's going on here?? ><

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
Have tried everything I could think of and have been searching through the net for days, please help...

After connecting to my Facebook account on Settings -> Facebook, it seems like the connection is fine (showing my name and asking to allow download contacts and events from facebook to my iphone), but - nothing works:
- Contacts are not being synced (i've tapped "update all contacts" - it said "0 contacts updated"), there is not even "groups" button on the upper left in he contacts app like my friend's phone.
- None of my third-party apps are allowed to use facebook (including thrid-party calenders, instagram ect.). Trying to access facebook will bring a pop-up saying "there was a problem requesting access from facebook"

Every now and than, a pop-up appears asking me toe "Enter the password for ***** in Settings". I tap "settings" in this pop-up, a windows appear with "There was a problem accessing you account. Please reenter the password for *****". I enter the password, sometimes it pops up with "error signing in - the user name or password are incorrect" (which they are not, believe me). after a few trials it accepts my password, but nothing changes.

- A hard reset.
- Going to settings -> facebook, under "allow there apps to use your account": only contacts and the inherent calendar appear, and they set on "on". changing it to "off" and "on" again did not help.
- Going to settings -> privacy -> facebook: it shows "Applications that have requested access to your facebook account will appear here", the list is empty (IMPORTANT: even the facbook app is not showing here!)

Thanks.

Sounds like you may need to restore your phone and doing so will update to 6.1.4.

ravidsand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
If there was a specific component in 6.1.2 that was making trouble and it was fixed in 6.1.4 - sure, but otherwise - this is not a way to fix things... I won't restore my iPhone every time an app is acting on me...

Back to starting point than. iCloud and Facebook are not syncing. Why oh why??

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
If there was a specific component in 6.1.2 that was making trouble and it was fixed in 6.1.4 - sure, but otherwise - this is not a way to fix things... I won't restore my iPhone every time an app is acting on me...

Back to starting point than. iCloud and Facebook are not syncing. Why oh why??

Okay, then by all means continue for days to figure it out. ;)

Ljwinter

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm on 6.1.2 and Facebook contacts won't sync. My iPad is on 6.1.3 and it has the same problem. I don't believe it's the firmware. I think it's a Facebook issue that might have been caused by an update to the Facebook app or something with their end of things.

ravidsand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
Ljwinter, is your iCloud connection fine? syncing your contacts, notes and everything?

Ljwinter

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Ljwinter, is your iCloud connection fine? syncing your contacts, notes and everything?

Yeah, iCloud is working fine for me. No issues.

Is anyone beside these two having any issue like this?

On another forum, quite a few people on different versions of iOS 6 and different platforms (iPad, iPhone and Mac) are having the same issues. I'm lost as to what it is. It's not even that big of a deal but it's bugging me now because I don't know what's causing it.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012

- A hard reset.

Thanks.

Same here. Just noticed it won't sync. I downloaded my phone and other sync programs from the AppStore and it won't sync that way either. I also noticed when I try to sync twitter to my contacts, unlike before that doesn't seem to sync either. I'm running IOS 6.1.2 on an iPhone 5.

TonyP927

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
Yes, I am having the same issue. Facebook says updating, and the little dotted circle just goes around and around; nothing else happens.
Now this problem only occurs on 4G. If I'm on WiFi, Facebook works fine.

BLTwitch

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
Ugh this is pissing me off. The same exact thing is happening to me, and it's SO annoying. I can't use pinterest (Don't make fun, pinterest is awesome) because I use facebook to log in and its like "Sorry we can't verify it properly blah blah blah" and I've tried to enter my password multiple times, I've even changed it so I know it's correct and it's like "nope can't log in, wrong username / password". Gaaaaah. Please, if anyone, ANYONE, knows the fix, tell me. I mean even for petes sake I had to quote the exact text in my settings in order to find this thread. :mad: And if anyone is wondering I haven't (Qoute: HAVEN'T) jail broken my iPod. It is an iPod 4th Gen in IOS 6.1.3. Gah. I hope someone finds a fix for this :/

ravidsand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2013
A quick fix for apps trying to use Facebook

Delete your Facebook account from the settings, but leave the Facebook app connected to your account. When you'll try to log in to Pinterest it will log in through the app and connect. If that doesn't work, you can log in yourself to your facebook account's Pinterest page and give the needed permission to let it connect. It worked for me...

(Pinterest IS awesome) ^_^

BLTwitch

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
Delete your Facebook account from the settings, but leave the Facebook app connected to your account. When you'll try to log in to Pinterest it will log in through the app and connect. If that doesn't work, you can log in yourself to your facebook account's Pinterest page and give the needed permission to let it connect. It worked for me...

(Pinterest IS awesome) ^_^

Thank you.. So. Much. I deleted my facebook information from my iPod and reconnected it and now it works perfectly! Thaaanks :D

nasher27

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013

Yes, I've been researching the problem for two days now. It's hard to find a website with answers because the issue seems to have popped up recently.

I just had to replace my iPhone 5 after it was water damaged, and upon restoring the new one my twitter account, my Facebook account, and two of my gmail accounts are all having these weird connection issues in the settings menu of the iPhone. All were working perfectly before on my previous iPhone 5.

They all repeatedly ask me for passwords and say there's trouble accessing the account / communicating with the server. If I log into the apps themselves they work fine, but none of the iOS integration is working. I'm running iOS 6.1.4 and have backed up/restored multiple times.

This question posted to Apple support describes the problem I'm experiencing with my Twitter account perfectly, but the same issues happen with both Facebook and my gmail accounts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.