Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
So I just picked up the LG V20. Spent about a couple hours playing with it, didn't set it up yet.

Here is my initial impressions of the V20 compared to the iPhone 7+ and the S7 Edge.

Size ....

First place .... S7 Edge. Best display size to body ratio. Was able to use the phone 99% of the time one handed with minimal shifting. Same would go to the deceased Note 7.

Second place .... V20. Small side bezels which is unnoticeable when screen is off. Bottom bezel is minimal, but it doesn't have a physical home button placed there. Top bezel is even smaller. Both top and bottom bezels are slanted inward, which I like. Between the top bezel and main display is the second screen, selfie camera, and sensors, which I think is a great design.

Third Place .... iPhone 7+. A redesign is a MUST for the next iPhone!!! It also feels and look thicker than the V20 when holding them side by side.

Weight (by feel in hand)....

First place ....
V20. It feels very light for a big phone.

Second place .... S7 Edge.

Third place ... iPhone 7+

Build Quality (based on feel in hand, weight, and size) ....

First Place .... iPhone 7+. It's just feels the most solid. Can't really put into words, but I worry the least with the iPhone 7+

Second Place .... S7 Edge. Even with a glass back, it still feels very solid.

Third Place ... V20. Too early to truly tell, but it feels the most delicate. And no, I don't feel that way cause I just got the phone.

Audio ....Speaker and Headphones ....

First Place .... V20. Speaker Audio is not as loud as the iPhone 7+, but it does get loud, especially for having just one speaker and has a much deeper and realistic sound. Headphone audio is better than the iPhone 7+ and S7 edge, with the Hi-Fi DAC turned off. With the Hi-Fi DAC turned on, audio quality is amazing, simply no competition. VERY GOOD LG!!!

Second Place .... iPhone 7+. The duel speakers make the iPhone 7+ louder than the V20, but the quality of the loud audio is subpar. Sounds like 100% treble which frequently you can feel the sound vibrate through the phone and high volume. iPhone 7+ sounds like AM radio compared to the V20. Headphone quality is good, but nowhere as good as the V20.

Third Place .... S7 Edge. Samsung is just so far behind when it comes to outputting audio on mobile devices. Audio on the S7 Edge is subpar for a flagship phone, on speakers, headphones, and bluetooth.

Call quality on all three phones sound good.

Display (My own eyes are the judge)....

First Place .... S7 Edge is simply the best display out of the three. It's instantly noticeable.

Second Place .... V20. I think it's display is better than the iPhone 7+. It's more crisp/sharp than the iPhone 7+. Watching video on the V20 is closer to watching a TV screen vs watching video on the iPhone 7+. Browsing and games look better on the V20 too. The V20 is the least bright of the three, I almost gave it third place for that. But it's bright enough, and direct sunlight doesn't wash the screen out as it does with the iPhone 7+.

Third Place .... iPhone 7+. I almost gave it second place, cause the colors are more accurate and max brightness is higher than the V20. But the display as a whole is just so soft compared to the S7 edge and V20. Doesn't have that crisp look that I like.

Side Note ...Fingerprints and dust is much more noticeable on the V20. It's the least noticeable on the iPhone 7+. I don't even notice dust on the iPhone 7+ or the S7 Edge, but for some reason it's very noticeable on the V20.

V20 Second Display vs S7 Edge display ....

I personally like the V20 Second Display better, but wish it was placed on the bottom, even if it meant placing the selfie camera on the bottom too. Placing it on the top means 2 handed use is always required. It also adds much more functionally vs the S7 Edge Always On Display.

The good thing about the S7 Edge display functions and Always on Display, is that it doesn't require any extra space, keeping the phone's profile smaller than the rest.

You can do more with the S7 Edge display functions, but it's much slower than the V20's dedicated second screen. The second screen on the V20 is FAST, even much faster than the dedicated edge screen on the Note 4 Edge.

Camera ..... (No S7 Edge, I don't have it anymore) ....

Don't know what to really think about the V20 Camera yet, as I haven't really messed with it much. I took a couple of quick shots with the V20 and iPhone 7+. Had nothing interesting to shoot at the time. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the Wide angle photos on the V20 distorts things a little. The Camera UI on both the V20 and the S7 Edge is excellent, especially with manual settings.

The V20 camera module is huge compared to the iPhone 7+ and the S7 Edge. But I do love the fact that it's located in the middle. Which means you won't have those mistakes of your finger being in the way of the camera while shooting.

V20 ... Auto Default settings
2v1p26f.jpg

V20 ... Wide Auto default settings
11h5fg6.jpg

iPhone 7+ ... Auto 1x
2uop7yb.jpg

iPhone 7+ ... Auto 2x
2ms5168.jpg

V20 ... Auto Default Settings
2jf7yp.jpg

V20 ... Wide Default Settings
970ewj.jpg

Finger Print Sensors/Home Button ....

A Tie for First Place(V20 and iPhone7+) ....

iPhone 7+. It's fast and the round home button/sensor is naturally easier to place your finger correctly compared to the S7 Edge.

V20. IMO, a finger sensor on the front is much more functional. The finger sensor on the back seems only comfortable using your index finger.

But the V20 finger sensor is faster than the iPhone 7+ and the S7 Edge. And I like the fact that you don't even have to press the button when unlocking. Unlike the iPhone 7+ and S7 Edge.

There's a disadvantage while using the V20 while docked.

Second Place ...
S7 Edge. A slight lag between the lock screen and the home screen. Although it seems it's on purpose. The home button is not as natural feeling as the iPhone 7+ or any round sensor. Meaning more user errors when trying to quickly unlock.

Worthy Mention .... The deceased Note 7 after the recent update, improved the finger sensor quickness equivalent to the V20. If the Note 7 didn't have the battery issue, I would have put it at First Place.

So Far ....

I like the V20, it's seems snappy. Animations are much faster compared to the S7 Edge and iPhone 7+. Didn't expect to like the second screen so much. Fast charging is just as fast as the S7 Edge. This is my first LG smartphone. The skin seems like a toned down TouchWiz. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing yet, cause I do like TouchWiz.

I also just realized, the V20 has an IR blaster. Something I missed since Samsung took it away from their flagship phones.

I personally don't care much for the removable back and battery. Would have preferred water resistance. I do like the button that easily removes the back cover though, nice touch.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
So I just picked up the LG V20. Spent about a couple hours playing with it, didn't set it up yet.

Here is my initial impressions of the V20 compared to the iPhone 7+ and the S7 Edge.

Size ....

First place .... S7 Edge. Best display size to body ratio. Was able to use the phone 99% of the time one handed with minimal shifting. Same would go to the deceased Note 7.

Second place .... V20. Small side bezels which is unnoticeable when screen is off. Bottom bezel is minimal, but it doesn't have a physical home button placed there. Top bezel is even smaller. Both top and bottom bezels are slanted inward, which I like. Between the top bezel and main display is the second screen, selfie camera, and sensors, which I think is a great design.

Third Place .... iPhone 7+. A redesign is a MUST for the next iPhone!!! It also feels and look thicker than the V20 when holding them side by side.

Weight (by feel in hand)....

First place ....
V20. It feels very light for a big phone.

Second place .... S7 Edge.

Third place ... iPhone 7+

Build Quality (based on feel in hand, weight, and size) ....

First Place .... iPhone 7+. It's just feels the most solid. Can't really put into words, but I worry the least with the iPhone 7+

Second Place .... S7 Edge. Even with a glass back, it still feels very solid.

Third Place ... V20. Too early to truly tell, but it feels the most delicate. And no, I don't feel that way cause I just got the phone.

Audio ....Speaker and Headphones ....

First Place .... V20. Speaker Audio is not as loud as the iPhone 7+, but it does get loud, especially for having just one speaker and has a much deeper and realistic sound. Headphone audio is better than the iPhone 7+ and S7 edge, with the Hi-Fi DAC turned off. With the Hi-Fi DAC turned on, audio quality is amazing, simply no competition. VERY GOOD LG!!!

Second Place .... iPhone 7+. The duel speakers make the iPhone 7+ louder than the V20, but the quality of the loud audio is subpar. Sounds like 100% treble which frequently you can feel the sound vibrate through the phone and high volume. iPhone 7+ sounds like AM radio compared to the V20. Headphone quality is good, but nowhere as good as the V20.

Third Place .... S7 Edge. Samsung is just so far behind when it comes to outputting audio on mobile devices. Audio on the S7 Edge is subpar for a flagship phone, on speakers, headphones, and bluetooth.

Call quality on all three phones sound good.

Display (My own eyes are the judge)....

First Place .... S7 Edge is simply the best display out of the three. It's instantly noticeable.

Second Place .... V20. I think it's display is better than the iPhone 7+. It's more crisp/sharp than the iPhone 7+. Watching video on the V20 is closer to watching a TV screen vs watching video on the iPhone 7+. Browsing and games look better on the V20 too. The V20 is the least bright of the three, I almost gave it third place for that. But it's bright enough, and direct sunlight doesn't wash the screen out as it does with the iPhone 7+.

Third Place .... iPhone 7+. I almost gave it second place, cause the colors are more accurate and max brightness is higher than the V20. But the display as a whole is just so soft compared to the S7 edge and V20. Doesn't have that crisp look that I like.

Side Note ...Fingerprints and dust is much more noticeable on the V20. It's the least noticeable on the iPhone 7+. I don't even notice dust on the iPhone 7+ or the S7 Edge, but for some reason it's very noticeable on the V20.

V20 Second Display vs S7 Edge display ....

I personally like the V20 Second Display better, but wish it was placed on the bottom, even if it meant placing the selfie camera on the bottom too. Placing it on the top means 2 handed use is always required. It also adds much more functionally vs the S7 Edge Always On Display.

The good thing about the S7 Edge display functions and Always on Display, is that it doesn't require any extra space, keeping the phone's profile smaller than the rest.

You can do more with the S7 Edge display functions, but it's much slower than the V20's dedicated second screen. The second screen on the V20 is FAST, even much faster than the dedicated edge screen on the Note 4 Edge.

Camera ..... (No S7 Edge, I don't have it anymore) ....

Don't know what to really think about the V20 Camera yet, as I haven't really messed with it much. I took a couple of quick shots with the V20 and iPhone 7+. Had nothing interesting to shoot at the time. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the Wide angle photos on the V20 distorts things a little. The Camera UI on both the V20 and the S7 Edge is excellent, especially with manual settings.

The V20 camera module is huge compared to the iPhone 7+ and the S7 Edge. But I do love the fact that it's located in the middle. Which means you won't have those mistakes of your finger being in the way of the camera while shooting.

V20 ... Auto Default settings
2v1p26f.jpg

V20 ... Wide Auto default settings
11h5fg6.jpg

iPhone 7+ ... Auto 1x
2uop7yb.jpg

iPhone 7+ ... Auto 2x
2ms5168.jpg

V20 ... Auto Default Settings
2jf7yp.jpg

V20 ... Wide Default Settings
970ewj.jpg

Finger Print Sensors/Home Button ....

A Tie for First Place(V20 and iPhone7+) ....

iPhone 7+. It's fast and the round home button/sensor is naturally easier to place your finger correctly compared to the S7 Edge.

V20. IMO, a finger sensor on the front is much more functional. The finger sensor on the back seems only comfortable using your index finger.

But the V20 finger sensor is faster than the iPhone 7+ and the S7 Edge. And I like the fact that you don't even have to press the button when unlocking. Unlike the iPhone 7+ and S7 Edge.

There's a disadvantage while using the V20 while docked.

Second Place ...
S7 Edge. A slight lag between the lock screen and the home screen. Although it seems it's on purpose. The home button is not as natural feeling as the iPhone 7+ or any round sensor. Meaning more user errors when trying to quickly unlock.

Worthy Mention .... The deceased Note 7 after the recent update, improved the finger sensor quickness equivalent to the V20. If the Note 7 didn't have the battery issue, I would have put it at First Place.

So Far ....

I like the V20, it's seems snappy. Animations are much faster compared to the S7 Edge and iPhone 7+. Didn't expect to like the second screen so much. Fast charging is just as fast as the S7 Edge. This is my first LG smartphone. The skin seems like a toned down TouchWiz. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing yet, cause I do like TouchWiz.

I also just realized, the V20 has an IR blaster. Something I missed since Samsung took it away from their flagship phones.

I personally don't care much for the removable back and battery. Would have preferred water resistance. I do like the button that easily removes the back cover though, nice touch.
Very very nice write up! Great job! :)
I have a Note 5 and was thinking of using JoD to get a V20.
What are you thoughts on battery life so far?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Very very nice write up! Great job! :)
I have a Note 5 and was thinking of using JoD to get a V20.
What are you thoughts on battery life so far?

So far not bad. Can't really tell yet since I haven't really fully set it up. But I've been playing with it non-stop on wifi for an hour after fully charging, and it's at 89%. I wouldn't take nothing from that though, as barely any apps are installed yet. But it doesn't seem like battery drains quickly.

I'm wondering how much battery drain will come from leaving the second display always on. It does dim down moments after main display is turned off.

I also used JoD.

Reactions: jamezr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Some updates ....

I'm liking Smart Bulletin on the V20.

Ok Google on the V20 works with with display off and not charging(like it suppose to).
Samsung needs to fix that and get rid of S-Voice. The only Samsung phone I got Ok Google to work on while locked and not charging, was the Note 4.

Bluetooth devices show the battery icon on the V20. Just like the iPhone. I remember someone in another thread made a big deal about it not being on Samsung, which is why I mentioning it.

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I have the LG V20...much faster and smoother device than my past s7 edge and note 7. This thing flies...the speed is similar to my iPad pro 9.7 based on going through the UI.....

The V20s camera is amaZing as well..just keep the HDR setting on "on" instead of auto for the best possible pics. No one can beat the quad DAC audio on this device either...just an amaZing and smooth fast performing phone overall.

Also..nougats implementation of split screen is the best way of doing it...just flawless on the LG V20...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I have the LG V20...much faster and smoother device than my past s7 edge and note 7. This thing flies...the speed is similar to my iPad pro 9.7 based on going through the UI.....

The V20s camera is amaZing as well..just keep the HDR setting on "on" instead of auto for the best possible pics. No one can beat the quad DAC audio on this device either...just an amaZing and smooth fast performing phone overall.

Also..nougats implementation of split screen is the best way of doing it...just flawless on the LG V20...

How's your battery life?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Great write up!

The V20 launched down here yesterday, I was waiting for it, but the lack of IP68 protection, no SuperAMOLED and the battery reports/reviews I saw put me off, and I went with the S7 Edge.

The V20 is a powerhouse though, impressive work by LG, I just wish the battery was larger, hopefully the V30 will bring both IP68 and +3500mAh juicer.

Enjoy that beast!

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Great write up!

The V20 launched down here yesterday, I was waiting for it, but the lack of IP68 protection, no SuperAMOLED and the battery reports/reviews I saw put me off, and I went with the S7 Edge.

The V20 is a powerhouse though, impressive work by LG, I just wish the battery was larger, hopefully the V30 will bring both IP68 and +3500mAh juicer.

Enjoy that beast!

I still think the S7 Edge is overall the better device, just didn't feel like going back to it.

The V20 is definitely the smoother device, but I never felt like the S7 Edge or Note 7 was slow by any means.

The battery life on the V20 has been holding up well for me today. Although it's just my first full day with it.

Rotating the V20 and iPhone 7+ will hold me over until the S8 is released.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I don't know what it is about the V20 screen, but it's the best looking IPS screen I've experienced so far on a device. Especially when watching video. The more I use it the more it impresses me.

Stand-By battery life seems equivelent to the iPhone, 50 minutes after I took it off the charger, had to make a call and was surprised to see it was still at 100%. After a 15 minute call 98%.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
How is the camera in auto mode? I've watched some reviews that say manual mode gets really great shots, but auto isn't as good.

Auto mode on the regular lens is excellent and focus is fast. Comparable to the S7, Note 7 and iPhone 7+, but not quite there. It's also pretty damn good in low light indoors or outside.

The wide lens in auto, is much less quality, but not horrible. I wouldn't take low light shots with the wide lens. Wide lens is more noisy and sometimes looks slighlty distorted. But it does capture so much more than the regular lens. Great for distance shots like a city skyline or canyon in decent sun light.

Manual mode is excellent with the wide lens. You can get some really crisp shots. But I still struggle with low light shot on the wide lens even with manual mode.

Reactions: scott craft

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Auto mode on the regular lens is excellent and focus is fast. Comparable to the S7, Note 7 and iPhone 7+, but not quite there. It's also pretty damn good in low light indoors or outside.

The wide lens in auto, is much less quality, but not horrible. I wouldn't take low light shots with the wide lens. Wide lens is more noisy and sometimes looks slighlty distorted. But it does capture so much more than the regular lens. Great for distance shots like a city skyline or canyon in decent sun light.

Manual mode is excellent with the wide lens. You can get some really crisp shots. But I still struggle with low light shot on the wide lens even with manual mode.

Thanks! I've got a 6S+ and I'm pleased with the camera, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose anything going to the V20.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
@LIVEFRMNYC thanks for the write up and subsequent updates. Would love to try the V20 but it will never launch here, so can only live vicariously through posts like yours. Thanks.

I was skeptical at first, but I'm really liking this phone. LG should have made it cheaper and advertised like crazy.

Also, in my OP I stated the V20 feels the most delicate. But I recently found out in has US MIL-STD-810G certification toughness, which is supposedly much better resistance at drops.

Another thing I like is that you can make a full back up of the device to the SD card.

Reactions: MRU and scott craft

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
The V20 is $672 on Verizon. That's pretty good if you ask me.

Problem is, not many are checking for LG phones. $100 less would have been the perfect price. The only reason I got it was T-mobile didn't have anything else I didn't already have or interested in. So I just used Jump On Demand since it's not a risk. As much as I like the V20, I wouldn't buy it outright retail unless it included wireless charging and water resistance. But that's just how I feel.

Reactions: MRU and scott craft

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Problem is, not many are checking for LG phones. $100 less would have been the perfect price. The only reason I got it was T-mobile didn't have anything else I didn't already have or interested in. So I just used Jump On Demand since it's not a risk. As much as I like the V20, I wouldn't buy it outright retail unless it included wireless charging and water resistance. But that's just how I feel.

True! It's pretty much a Samsung and IPhone world. And I know it's more expensive on AT&T. On Verizon it's equivalent to the S7 and HTC 10 as far as price.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC and MRU

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
True! It's pretty much a Samsung and IPhone world. And I know it's more expensive on AT&T. On Verizon it's equivalent to the S7 and HTC 10 as far as price.

Just looked it up, ATT is charging $829. They on some BS!!!! Higher priced than buying unlocked from LG directly.

Reactions: scott craft

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
So I'm liking the manual controls better on the V20 vs the S7, based on placement, which makes it easier to mess with manual settings on the fly. And it's also easier to understand since I'm not much savvy when it comes to photography. I do believe the S7 manual settings were a little more robust though.

Sparkymoto

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
Just picked up my V20 on Thursday. Love the big flat screen (came from Note 7) screen quality is really nice. Still testing battery. First day I was down to 30% by 5pm, so that makes me nervous, but it could have been because I was off work and playing with it all day. I'm not worried because I've ordered a spare battery. I love the build quality. The camera is great for people who like to play in manual mode, it has so many settings. Music with the B&O headphones sounds awesome. The speaker is way better than N7. I am very happy with this phone and for me it's the best N7 replacement. Only thing I miss is water resistance, and the Samsung theme store. I highly recommend this phone, you won't be disappointed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.