Inkster Police Officer Laughing, Celebrating After Brutalizing Black Man

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Apr 29, 2015.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

With all that's going on around the nation regarding how law enforcement handles themselves, you'ed think the police would practice a little common sense. They know full well they have cameras there and they know their actions will eventually be made public, which will cause more of what we already see on a weekly basis.

3. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

There sure seems to be a lot of "bad apples".

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

There is something about putting on a uniform that can change some people. There is also an issue of pack mentality. A lone dog behaves differently when in a pack.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Look how the New York police behaved over any criticism of their actions after the Garner death.

6. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They've been fired and the head of the department resigned.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

They know that they can get away with it.

8. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I just spent 10 days with a camera pointed at me, it's amazing how quickly you forget it's there. If I can forget that there is a four person crew pointing a camera and mic at me within hours, surely these guys can forget about unmanned cameras.

9. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Filming an episode of True Life?

10. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

11. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

NatGeo Behind The Scenes

12. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

Criminal charges?

13. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

That's an unacceptable use of force and complete disregard for suspect.

I think it's absolutely unprofessional of the cops to be allegedly making fun of the situation, especially in front of the suspect. It may be unfair to assume that all the cops understood what actually happened moments after he was brought in. I imagine they did not get a look at the video. There were only ~2(?) cops at the original scene. The cops brings in a bad guy to the station, describe their heroism, and make it look like there was a big fight (when in fact it appears to be a beating, not a fight), looking for praise and respect. Their buddy cops congratulate them.

That said, the beating is unacceptable (16 strikes to the head, are you kidding me?) and the fact that medical attention was ignored cannot go unexcused. If all the cops knew the full extent of what happened and acted in that manner, then I think punishment is something to be considered.

I don't like that the lawyer says something to effect of "As a white male I feel like I need to apologize..." I am a white male, well to many people I'd be considered white, but I don't feel I need to apologize for the actions of these law enforcement officials. I wouldn't apologize for a white rapist, a Jewish murderer, or American pedophile. I am in no way involved with such actions. I cannot apologize, but I definitely can and do sympathize.

15. sim667 macrumors 65816

They should have charges brought against them.... being fired is not enough.

16. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Do they?

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

18. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

In America these actions are quite common these days. Unfortunately this is quite sad. Government needs to give these officers long prison sentences to put an end to stuff like this from taking place.

19. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Yes. With every police force, with every cop, with every America, these actions are quite common.

~Paid For By The Vote Me 2015 Campaign

20. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I think it would be in the best interest of the government do put some serious research into why there are so many incidents of police brutality from a psychological standpoint. I'm not convinced all these instances are 100% racially motivated, or even to a sizable extent. Obviously there has been a great amount of media attention to white on black cases, but the numbers suggest there is quite a bit of white cop on white suspect killing/brutality as well.

Cops, whether you appreciate them or not, do have a tough job. They more than likely are exposed to numerous traumatic events on a yearly or even monthly basis. They deal with the situations the public does not and cannot handle themselves. They also by design, have quite a bit of authority over regular citizens. People with PTSD tend to inappropriately respond in stressful situations. Perhaps more stringent, more thorough screening mechanisms need to be put in place to see if cops are mentally sound to be preforming their job duties. Like many cases of mental illness, it could be that some of these individuals don't even realize how they are affected psychologically.

It is evident there is a problem with brutality and it's truly unfortunate the consequences our county has witnessed due to such actions. I've seen enough episodes of COPS where the victim puts his hands up and is still seeming unnecessarily tackled to the ground and physically jostled. I'm not excusing the cops for their behavior or suggesting they are the victims. If there is a problem psychologically, then it needs to be addressed before these guys can put on their uniforms and badges. I may be naively optimistic, but I find it hard to believe that even a devoutly racist person in our country in 2015 would have little to no remorse for ending the life of another, regardless of their view of inferiority.

I'm not saying race is not a factor at all, but I don't believe it's the only issue at hand here. I really think there needs to be a serious and thorough assessment made to see what factors are contributing to this seeming epidemic of brutality and death. People are looking for answers and change. This is one recommendation to hopefully make things change.

21. sim667 macrumors 65816

Not an excuse.