Inquiry on the 13" MBP model and Photoshop/Final Cut.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sykriar, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Sykriar macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. I'm looking to purchase my first Mac and I need some input. :)

I'm currently running on a PC with a quad-core i7 clocked at 2.6 GHz, 6 gigs of ram and a NVIDIA GTX 280. I'm buying a MBP mostly for the portability, school and web but I would like to know how these specs would deal with mid-to-heavy Photoshop/Final Cut layering and editing:

13-inch: 2.7 GHz

2.7GHz dual-core
    Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz
    500GB 5400-rpm1
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

Photoshop and Final Cut usage is not a deal breaker but it would be nice to use on my Mac as I will be quite busy during the school year and would like to indulge in learning both programs from the comfort of my living room, or wherever I'm at. Will this current model I'm looking at do, or can I get away with even the $1299 model?

- Sykriar

2. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Honestly, with that 5400rpm HDD, you're not going to see a difference in the 2.7 i7 model and the 2.3 i5 model.

My opinion is to get the base model and use the savings to invest in a SSD.

I use Photoshop CS5 extensively, and trust me RAM and disk read/write speeds are your bottlenecks.

3. Sykriar thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, you strike a good point. And plus it comes out around the same price with the SSD, too.

Ha, thank you very much! I've been wracking my brain around this and honestly I'm awful with hardware evaluation, so thank you. xD

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Much better to get the SSD I think, rather than the processor upgrade.

5. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

Agreed, you won't see much of a difference with the i7 over the i5

6. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Hah no problem.

I just wish I could afford one. I hate having to wait to load panoramas or multi-layer TIF files. I mean, a HDD isn't bad per se, but with an SSD you certainly do notice a difference.

7. Sykriar thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, I totally understand. I would be indulging in the 17" if I had the money haha. Maybe someday. :p

8. randomrazr macrumors 65816

it can run them, i't'll just take longer than doing it on high spec macbooks but it can do it.

def recoemdn investng in SSD

ram u can upgrade ur self for cheaper