Insane to switch my main PC setup to a Mac in the middle of a hectic work period?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Whackintosh, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Whackintosh

Okay, here's my situation. I've got a 1st gen Macbook as my portable rig but my main machine has always been a PC. My PC has been getting less pleasurable to use by the day, to say the least, and I'm planning on finally moving on to an Imac. Trouble is, virtually everything that matters in terms of my work is on my PC. I organize a major event that takes place this summer and if I moved everything from my PC to my Imac before that time, I'd need to be able to do it without too many black holes or headaches, because I'm working on my PC rig for a good 10 hours a day these days. Pragmatically, the best thing to do would probably be to wait until after the July crunch, but I'm dying to just do it right now! If I took the leap, would I be asking for trouble doing so during such a hectic work period or could I make the transition relatively easily? Just risking having my Thunderbird inbox being thrown out of whack if I did the wrong move is a serious scare to me.

One option might be to just ghost my entire PC and bring it to the Imac for use in Boot Camp or Parallels until I get everything sorted, I suppose. Could I easily port over my entire PC to my Imac's Windows side and have it run more or less the same machine as before for the time being?

Or, should I just chill and wait until I can breathe again at the end of July?

2. The Hammer macrumors regular

They can transfer everything over from your PC to a Mac at the Apple store if your concerned about making a mistake doing it yourself. But personally I'd wait until the July crunch time was over. It won't be long now.