Inspiron 6000: I had the fan replaced, and it still makes noise!!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blairh, Mar 28, 2008.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I am so tired of all the frustration my Inspiron 6000 has given me the past few weeks.

My fan has been making noise for a few months now. I've owned this notebook since Dec of 05'. I've had no problems with it, until the fan started up. The noise got worse over the past few months. I looked into replacing it myself, realized it required me to take apart a great deal of my laptop, so I purchased the fan online myself and just had it replaced at Microcenter.

I get my notebook back tonight, same noise.

:mad:

What do you all think could be my problem? I also realized that at times my shortcuts don't appears on my desktop when I boot up until a few minutes pass. This happens probably 1 in every 6 times I start the computer.

I scanned my computer for viruses, spyware, nothing showed up. Ran CC Cleaner, disk defrag, etc.

Thoughts? My next move is to go back to Microcenter and spend $70 to run a diagnostic test, but I just spent $90 trying to fix it already ($50 for fan, $40 to have fan replaced).

ALL ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! I am contemplating getting a macbook, but given my current financial state, I would really love to salvage my Dell if possible.

Thanks.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Your harddisk is failing. I'm not sure, but if I had to guess....

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Why do you think that? What do you recommend I do?

4. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I understand that you want a MacBook but...

Don't you think you'd get better/more responses by going to http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/ instead of MACrumors?

Not trying to pick on you but coming to a Mac forum asking for help with a Dell isn't a great idea. :confused:

Go ahead and post on the Dell website and I'm sure someone can help you. When I had a dell, an administrator/someone that worked with dell, saw my post and asked for my personal information, i.e. phone number, to call and set up some type of fix.

Worth a shot. Good luck.

~Crawn

5. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Crawn2003,

Thanks for the advice. I don't disagree with you, but my experience on the Dell forums has been terrible. I posted about my fan months ago, and didn't receive one response for an entire month. Then I added to the thread, asking again, in a form of a bump you could say. Nothing. Then I voiced my displeasure with the forum, complaining that if this was a Mac based forum, someone would have helped. Then finally someone spoke up and said "you know your fan is the problem, what do you expect us to do?" For which I replied, to paraphrase here "this is a forum, I expect some advice on my situation". The SAME GUY responded immediately with his view on my situation regarding my fan. And lastly I wrote back "thanks, but why couldn't you have said that in the first place instead of being so rude". Needless to say he didn't respond.

So I posted here because I've seen some Dell related posts and I love this community.

I'm going to go ahead and post this exact same question in the forum you suggested. Can't hurt, right?

6. MCCustrel macrumors newbie

Hello,

My name is Albert And I am with Micro Center. Please provide me with your phone number and work order number. I have a member of the local store management in cambridge prepared to call you.

You can send your information to custrel@microcenter.com

Thank you,
    Albert

7. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Hello Albert,

Thanks so much for your reply. I've had no problems with my inspiron notebook (knock on wood) since the work microcenter did on it earlier this year. Perhaps I was too sensitive to the fan noise when I returned home, but it really hasn't been an issue and I've used my laptop a good deal. The fan does become quite loud when I'm using my laptop for an extended period of time (say 4 + hours) but I guess that should be expected.

I will however keep your email address at hand and contact you if I have any further problems. I'm a big fan of Microcenter in general and thank you for your post.