Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Instagram Celebrates 10th Birthday With Stories Map, New Icons, and More

retta283

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2018
Victoria, British Columbia
I hope enough people select ‘Classic2’ so Instagram thinks of giving this option forever or even change it‘s icon back to that one.

It’s great how much craftsmanship had the icons before this flat nonsense.
I agree. I don't use Instagram but I always thought that icon was nice, reminded me of the older iOS icons before 7. Wish every app allowed you to choose icons like this.

Reactions: SigEp265
Comment

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
There’s also a new icon available for Outlook for iOS since a week or two. It’s available in Settings where you choose theme. You can now choose between light or dark icon. The dark icon is very nice.

Comment

persuasiveghost

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2018
Instagram has to be the most used and relevant app right now. There really is no need to keep overdeveloping it. Much like when people shifted to Facebook, it was the simplicity of it all: just a tastefully done picture with a short caption. Now it's so complex feature and interface wise that it's just a slightly better Facebook. I still like it and will continue to use it but damn, way too much bloat. Bring back chronological and ditch that "you're all caught up" nonsense.

Comment

twocents

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2016
California, USA
Same here! It also made me realise how poorly the iOS flat icons have aged, and they've been around since 2013 iOS 7. We're now on iOS 14, I think it's high time for a full-on UI refresh.

Case in point, 7 years later I still find the more abstract icons i.e. News and Photos sorely in need of a refresh.

Comment

Bawstun

macrumors 68000
Jun 25, 2009
Can’t get mine to switch either can’t I have tried restarting my phone. Booooo.

Comment

gmarm

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Berlin
Same here! It also made me realise how poorly the iOS flat icons have aged, and they've been around since 2013 iOS 7. We're now on iOS 14, I think it's high time for a full-on UI refresh.

They just applied this look to Big Sur as well, I wouldn't hold my breath (sadly).

Comment

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Is the cool ”change icon” feature gone? My Instagram app was updated and the icon reverted to default and now there’s no option to change the icon :(

Comment

retta283

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2018
Victoria, British Columbia
Is the cool ”change icon” feature gone? My Instagram app was updated and the icon reverted to default and now there’s no option to change the icon :(
If you can't scroll up like you could before to access it, it's probably gone unfortunately. Would've been nice if they kept it (all apps should have a similar feature) but sometimes developers aren't so nice...

Comment

otternonsense

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Same here, I'm annoyed that the purple gradient vomit is back. And the new CTA placement makes no sense other than push their marketplace. Awful.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.