Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram has added a native payments feature that's currently available to some Instagram users, reports TechCrunch.

The payments feature allows Instagram users to add a credit or debit card to Instagram to make purchases of advertised products and services directly within the Instagram app.

instagrampayments-800x379.jpg

Instagram already has a shopping feature through Shoppable tags, but it requires users to access a third-party website to complete payments, so it is not the same as the new native option.

An Instagram spokesperson told TechCrunch that native payments are currently available to some users for booking appointments at locations like restaurants and salons.

Users who have access to the Payments feature will find it within the Instagram settings. A Profile tab allows a Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, or Discover credit or debit card to be added to the app, while a Security tab allows users to set a PIN for authorizing purchases. A separate Activity tab lists anything that a user has purchased on Instagram.

Instagram has enabled Payments for a select number of retail partners, such as dinner reservation app Resy. Businesses that use Resy can accept in-app reservations and bookings using stored payment methods.

Payments will expand to other products and services in the future, according to Instagram, allowing users to do things like purchase movie tickets and other items.

Article Link: Instagram Adds Native Payments Option for Some Users

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
So many payment systems exist now that we need a new payment system for paying those payment systems. Maybe a digital credit card that one can load from more permanent accounts, like those prepaid things except not messy.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Now people can pay me directly for 'Likes'.

LMAO ... dude! I really think you're onto something here ... like the real reason for all those BUTT pic accounts having million of followers and getting contracts for garments and paid advertising.

For me ... no Apple Pay ... not doing this.

PS: Apple ... can we please get the Apple Pay team onto the SIri team to execute please? seriously?!!

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
LMAO ... dude! I really think you're onto something here ... like the real reason for all those BUTT pic accounts having million of followers and getting contracts for garments and paid advertising.

For me ... no Apple Pay ... not doing this.

PS: Apple ... can we please get the Apple Pay team onto the SIri team to execute please? seriously?!!

I wouldn't be surprised in any way if someone like Kim Kardashian, asked their followers to give them money for no valid reason, and sadly, thousands would. The rich get richer and the idiots get poorer.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I generally report all ads in my Instagram feed as spam, but it unfortunately that method really has not worked.

But in all seriousness, there have been maybe 1-2 ads in which I was going to purchase something when I clicked on the IG link and went to the web page. IG having my CC info certainly isn't going to entice me to make more purchases directly from ads though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.