Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram has selected a group of users to test a version of its app with an overhauled design, which can be seen in a series of screenshots sent to MacRumors by reader Sebastien. Unlike the previous Instagram design, which utilizes a white feed bookended by blue and black borders and blue accents, the new design features a more monochromatic look.

newinstagram.jpg

The new color scheme appears to be part of an effort to help photos, specifically color photos, pop more in a user's feed. The icons have also undergone design changes. The camera button on the bottom bar is no longer singled out with a blue box around it, and the camera button in camera mode is now a grey ring rather than a blue circle. The activity button on the bottom bar is a simple heart rather than a heart in a speech bubble and the profile button on the bottom is the outline of a person rather than a user's photo.

Instagram tells Mashable that the company often tests "new experiences with a small percentage of the global community" and that this test was "a design test only." It's unclear whether this design will become official in a future update or whether the company decides to not move forward with it.

More recently, Instagram has been making tweaks and changes to how its app works. Two weeks ago, the company added video channels to its "Explore" feature. Before that, it expanded video clips from 15 seconds to 60 seconds and announced that it would introduce an algorithm-based feed.

Instagram is available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Instagram is Testing a Flatter, Simpler Design for iPhone App

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
Could they extend that to their app icon? I always keep it in a folder because it's so inconsistent. It's a nice piece of art but they need to let die already.

I saved an image with a flat icon to replace the original Instagram one on my home screen. It doubles the process of opening Instagram because it's just a "link" icon, but that's how much I despise the original one :)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
One more major app leaving skeuomorphism design concept.
The end of an era led by Microsoft and Apple?

Reactions: tyasjs

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I like the Apple Watch Instagram icon.

They should just carry that over and carry the simplicity and color scheme of the icon to the app (lighter blue).

image.png

Reactions: orbital~debris

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Current feed sucks. Get rid of the top blue bar. How about black background and white text instead? That would make the photo really pop.

And please change that dated icon.

Reactions: orbital~debris

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Did you have to opt in to that, or did it just happen?

there is no opt in/out button.

apparently i got the new design after this morning update. it is probably a random chance that you get it and when you get it, you will continue to have it until the next update? However I do notice that the old design is still available within the app. I managed to see this by closing the app and re-launching it. it takes less than a fraction of a second to switch to the new design.

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

pinsleric

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2008
there is no opt in/out button.

apparently i got the new design after this morning update. it is probably a random chance that you get it and when you get it, you will continue to have it until the next update? However I do notice that the old design is still available within the app. I managed to see this by closing the app and re-launching it. it takes less than a fraction of a second to switch to the new design.

Gotcha, thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.