Install application directly on hard drive so as to not use DVD all the time?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by InfiniteLoopy, Jan 15, 2011.

1. InfiniteLoopy macrumors 6502

Hello all,

Basically, what is the best thing to do about an application which doesn't install in the application folder but requires to be run from the DVD each time?

I have an application which constantly has to seek information from the DVD as it's not installed and makes it really slow. Is there a way to copy the contents of the DVD onto the hard drive to make it faster and the DVD unnecessary. Is this what an ISO is?

I realise that this *could* be used for piracy but I promise it's not the case.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

What is the name of the application?

You could make a disk image via Disk Utility and mount that image via Burn or Finder.

3. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi,

How would I do a disc image exactly?

Thanks,

4. simsaladimbamba

5. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Usually the apps that only run from DVD are games and it's very hard to install them onto the HD as they check to see if they are running from the DVD. They do this to prevent piracy.

You might be able to get the program onto the HD, but it will still require the DVD unless you find some software to fool it.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've never had a problem using Toast Titanium to create a .toast image on my Desktop. Mount the image and the DVD icon even pops up as if it's physically in the drive.