install iDVD

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
3,338
0
down in Fraggle Rock
i have a problem. i have an imac with a superdrive and want to burn dvds. does anyone know how to get a copy of the 'free' idvd software?

i am thinking of calling apple and cursing at them, pretty ridiculous that they do not provide idvd with these computers. (yes i know i can buy a copy for $20)
 

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
299
0
Los Angeles
Re: install iDVD

Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
i have a problem. i have an imac with a superdrive and want to burn dvds. does anyone know how to get a copy of the 'free' idvd software?

i am thinking of calling apple and cursing at them, pretty ridiculous that they do not provide idvd with these computers. (yes i know i can buy a copy for $20)
I just reinstalled 10.2 and in the process iDVD did not install. I had to revert to the restoration discs(1 and 5) provided by Apple to install iDVD.

chad4mac
 

trive

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
40
0
NO iDVD?

Are you sure you haven't got iDVD with your mac? :confused:

I got an iMac with superdrive and I got iDVD preinstalled....

My suggestions are:
1. Go in Macintosh HD > Applications... there is no iDVD folder?
2. Search for it; go in the Finder and hit command(apple)+F. Write "iDVD"
3. Look in the Cds in the iMac box and search for it. I don't really know if you can find it there.....
4. Ask to your vendor; maybe he will give you a copy of it. Maybe.

Hope I was helful.
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
3,338
0
down in Fraggle Rock
pacifist works on installer packages. the restore cds are disc images.

essentially the only way to install idvd is to wipe your hard drive and run software restore. not something i am interested in doing (especially since i ran the osx install for a reason — so i didnt have all the extra crap apple installs on your computer at the factory.
 

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
299
0
Los Angeles
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
pacifist works on installer packages. the restore cds are disc images.

essentially the only way to install idvd is to wipe your hard drive and run software restore. not something i am interested in doing (especially since i ran the osx install for a reason — so i didnt have all the extra crap apple installs on your computer at the factory.
When you say "wipe" is that slang for format.

I just restored iDVD, and only iDVD (there was a special function that only restores iDVD), from the restore discs and did not have to wipe the hard drive. Hole process took about ten minutes...

Maybe we have different versions of the retore discs. Mine have dots on them (1 through 5) for identification purposes.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty positive i didn't wipe the drive.

Chad4mac
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
3,338
0
down in Fraggle Rock
sounds similar. i have 6 discs. but the only way to do anything with them is to boot from the cd, and there are no installers so i had assumed it was only a full system restore. after you boot from the cd is there supposed to be a special idvd only install?
 

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
2,889
0
Arid-Zone-A
Well, if you don't have the special install option for iDVD...

I found this complicated, messy way of restoring it (from 10.1 System Restore CDs) over at MacInTouch :

Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 19:52:00 -0400
From: Chris Bailey
Subject: iDVD 2 under 10.2

Provided you've got a big chunk of disk space temporarily available, it's pretty easy to get iDVD 2 installed from your original System Restore CDs once you've done a clean install of MacOS 10.2.

Go through all your System Restore CDs and into the "Configurations" folder on each CD. Copy all the .dmg files you find into a single folder on your hard drive. Once you have all the .dmg files gathered up like this, double-click on the first one ("PowerMac HD Disc 1.dmg"). You can tell Disk Copy to skip the checksum verification. An image of the original "Macintosh HD" will appear on the desktop. Open the Applications folder in that image and find the iDVD 2 folder and copy it to your Applications folder. And 1.16 gigabytes later, your iDVD 2 is installed... no need to get any other files off the System Restore CDs. The single folder contains everything you need (and then some!).

Eject the "Macintosh HD" image. Trash all the .dmg files you copied. And don't forget to apply the iDVD 2.1 update:

www.apple.com/idvd/download/

Charles "Chris" Bailey
:eek:


AL's next DVD burning project: making a backup of iDVD! ;)
 

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
1,615
6
find the .pkg file

What you'll need to do, if you can't just reinstall iDVD by itself, is to find the .pkg file that contains idvd from one of the Restore CD's. (Just search for .pkg or .mpkg)

Once you have found it right-click (crtl-click) on the package, and open to view the contents.
There is a file that ends with .pax.gz
Copy that file to your hard disk, download an app called OpenUp and use this to un-zip it (stuffit will screw up g-zipped files), then extract the .pax archive with OpenUp using the same method. Once OpenUp has extracted the files, there should be one or several folders that look identical to the ones on your HD, to do a manual install, just drag those files to the appropriate places on your HD, for example if you saw /Applicatons/iDVD you would just drag the iDVD folder from the extracted files to your Applications folder.

Hope that helps.

[Edit] I didn't see the post above, yea, try mounting those disk images and checking if you can't just drag the iDVD folder from it. Looks alot easier!
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
3,338
0
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: find the .pkg file

Originally posted by Fukui
What you'll need to do, if you can't just reinstall iDVD by itself, is to find the .pkg file that contains idvd from one of the Restore CD's. (Just search for .pkg or .mpkg)

Once you have found it right-click (crtl-click) on the package, and open to view the contents.
There is a file that ends with .pax.gz
Copy that file to your hard disk, download an app called OpenUp and use this to un-zip it (stuffit will screw up g-zipped files), then extract the .pax archive with OpenUp using the same method. Once OpenUp has extracted the files, there should be one or several folders that look identical to the ones on your HD, to do a manual install, just drag those files to the appropriate places on your HD, for example if you saw /Applicatons/iDVD you would just drag the iDVD folder from the extracted files to your Applications folder.

Hope that helps.
actually there are no packages. there is only a disc image. a partial disc image in fact. you can not moount the image because it needs the 5 other disc images from the 5 other cds.

really all i need is for someone with the dvd-rom for idvd to image it gzip it and send it to me. hopefully soemone with a fast upstream and a big heart could do this for me.
 

Chad4Mac

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2002
299
0
Los Angeles
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
sounds similar. i have 6 discs. but the only way to do anything with them is to boot from the cd, and there are no installers so i had assumed it was only a full system restore. after you boot from the cd is there supposed to be a special idvd only install?
Sounds like you have a later version of the iMac...anyway check this out....

This is what I'm talking about:

Here

The restore discs included with the recent computers that ship with Mac OS X 10.2 are significantly different from those used with earlier model Macintosh computers. This includes the Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors).

The differences include:
o The restore is customizable. You can choose to restore all items, or select just Mac OS 9.2.2 or specific applications such as iDVD (Figure 1)
# The restore discs are not startup discs. Using the restore program requires that you start up the computer from a hard disk that has Mac OS X 10.2 or later installed on it.
# Because the restore discs are not startup discs, an erase and restore requires an additional step.


I'll send you it. PM me. We can discuss the best way of doing this...

Chad4mac
 

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
1,615
6
Hmm, could you copy all five to your HD then mount the first one? I once backed up my HD through DiskCopy and it broke it up into 7 disk images, and in order to mout it as one, I had to have all seven in the same directory, then I just double-clicked the first file, and DiskCopy mounted the others by itself...
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 28, 2001
3,338
0
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by Chad4Mac


Sounds like you have a later version of the iMac...anyway check this out....

This is what I'm talking about:

Here

The restore discs included with the recent computers that ship with Mac OS X 10.2 are significantly different from those used with earlier model Macintosh computers. This includes the Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors).

The differences include:
o The restore is customizable. You can choose to restore all items, or select just Mac OS 9.2.2 or specific applications such as iDVD (Figure 1)
# The restore discs are not startup discs. Using the restore program requires that you start up the computer from a hard disk that has Mac OS X 10.2 or later installed on it.
# Because the restore discs are not startup discs, an erase and restore requires an additional step.


I'll send you it. PM me. We can discuss the best way of doing this...

Chad4mac
well that is different than what i have then. i have an original g4 imac. the restore cd must be booted from to do anything and the only thing it can do is format your drive and install the factory install. in other words it is useless.