Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2004
Some time ago I installed Panther on my PB G3 (lombard). It's working really great, but now I need to install Mac OS 9 to run some apps.
So I took a Mac OS 9.2.2 Install CD, placed it in the drive and reboot holding the "c". It started ok, but none of the partitions of my HD were mounted. I thought it was becouse of journaling (they are HFS+ Journaled), but disabling it didn't work either...
Anyone knows why?
I also tried to copy a working OS 9 folder to the partition that doesn't have Panther, and then blessing that folder, but it didn't work...
tia,
fky./

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
i got my classic to start working jut days ago. what i did was boot off of my applecare protection plan techtool deluxe cd, then i dragged the os9 folder to the applications folder on my drive. now classic works! (it's taken months of trying, stopping, trying something diferent, repeat ad infinitum)

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....copying a working os 9.2 folder from another device should in most circumstances get you working in "classic" mode within os x but if you want to boot to os 9 directly (there are still some programs that require this unfortunately....) then you *do* have to have the os 9 driver installed when you format the drive.....oh yeah!

funkaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2004
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says....When you installed Panther did you install the OS 9 driver? .....oh yeah!

uhhh... I think I didn't (I wasn't planning to install Mac OS 9)... Is there a way to install those drivers without erasing everything?

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
funkaster said:
uhhh... I think I didn't (I wasn't planning to install Mac OS 9)... Is there a way to install those drivers without erasing everything?
Duff-Man says....unfortunately if you want to install the OS 9 driver you'll have to start over. But that is only if you need to *boot directly* into OS 9 - if you just want to run inOS X's Classic mode then what you have should work fine - open System Preferences, click on the "Classic" pane and choose your OS 9 system folder.....oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.