Install of 10.5.5 did not go well on iMac G5 !

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MikeMc, Sep 16, 2008.

1. MikeMc macrumors newbie

I attempted to install 10.5.5 on my 1st gen iMac G5 (upgrading from 10.5.4). The download seemed to go OK, then I clicked on Restart to install the update. Part way through, I got an error message, something like ( I didn't write it down exactly):

"The update could not be completed because the install disc is damaged. Click here to terminate the update and restart your computer"

So I did. Now, the computer hangs at a blue screen. I get (in order) the white Apple logo screen, then rotating star graphic, then dark blue screen, then light blue screen with cursor placed in upper left corner. Nothing after that.

Any suggestions on what may be wrong or what to try?

2. Cadium macrumors member

Try booting in "safe mode" by holding down the Shift key while booting. If this doesn't work, you may need to boot from your Mac OS X Installation DVD and perform an Archive and Install of the operating system.

3. MikeMc thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the entire system backed up via TimeMachine to a Time Capsule. Is this of any use to me in this situation, or do I need to go all the way back to the Install DVD?

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

If safe mode (hold shift at Apple/chimes) doesn't fix you, boot the 10.5 DVD, and go into Time Machine from the Utilities menu. If you can connect with the Time Capsule, you can restore your system erase/formatting your drive in the process) and then try the update again. Don't do this unless your backup is fresh.

An Archive & Install method would be the best solution if you don't want to rely on your backup.