Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i_wolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Hi guys,
Has anyone here upgraded their mac with RAID 0 (need as much speed as can get).
I was thinking of getting another 160 gig maxtor serial ata and running em in raid.
Im told apple supports software raid. However traditionally software raid has been slower than hardware raid and not quite a secure. Has anyone installed a RAID controller and got their Power mac running in Raid???
Any advice what so ever much appreciated.

i_wolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
the top upgrade apple offers for dual 250 gig serial ata.... are they not in raid??? Or is there a software raid option with OS X??
Anybody else know anything about it??
BTW thanks a lot G5orbust. Much appreciated for the link.

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
the G5 has two SATA controller ports in it; one for each hard drive the thing has room for.

i_wolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
thanks again G5orbust. I opened the box for first time and took a look. Apart from being damn impressive inside, i see what you mean there is room for a second drive. Apple must offer RAID as a software option or something.
By the way i like your sig! Have you downloaded the latest JDK from developer website. Its pretty cool.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
I have raid set up for striping on my G5. Start up from the OS CD enter disk utility configure the disks on the raid panel, format and there you go.

i_wolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
is there a big performance advantage that you have noticed with this config???
Also do you notice the fans kicking in slightly more that usual as a result of the extra hard disk???
thanks
i_wolf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.