Install Windows on a different partition on Mac without CD … ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by PetyrVeliki, May 14, 2012.

1. PetyrVeliki macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook (with Mac 10.5.8.) with broken CD, and it has two partitions - the mac one and additional one, that is empty. I want to put Windows on it and to have both operating systems, and at startup to have the boot options for choose between Mac and Win. (I have choice between Windows and Linux on my PC laptop, it's very nice.)

Unfortunately, the CD is broken, and also - I can't boot from USB. I tried:

1. Holding "options" key while booting - I see only the HDD for boot device.
    2. In "Startup Disk" I see only the HDD and NET for booting options, the USB doesn't appear.

So, what would you recommend me? I was thinking of either manage to boot from USB (different bootloader, different USB drive), or mount some ISO, launch it and install on the empty HDD partition (I'm not sure this is possible at all ...).

So, please, can you give me an advice.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Does you or a friend have a Windows Vista or Windows 7 PC?

If so, I can tell you how to make a bootable Windows 7 Setup Thumbdrive.

3. PetyrVeliki thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a bootable flash drive with windows 7 on it, and my PC laptop boots from it just fine. I guess this is what you ment.

And also, on my PC laptop I have Windows 7. So, what is your advice?

Regards,
    Peter

4. Quad5Ny, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

How old is the MacBook? Remember PowerPC Macs CANNOT run Windows.

Before doing any of these steps you should find your model number and verify you can boot Windows. You may also need to upgrade to Snow Leopard.

I'm suggesting this because maybe your Mac doesn't want to boot off a Windows FAT32 drive or maybe there is something setup wrong. Either way those steps will give you a 100% correctly setup and working Windows 7 Setup ThumbDrive.

---

When done installing, you should convert your ThumbDrive back to FAT32.

---

One last thing, make sure your using a Retail Windows 7 DVD.

If your not sure that's what you have, you can get a Official ISO Here.