Installation of a Pioneer DVR-212D (SATA Burner, Mac Pro)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slughead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

OK So I bought and installed a SATA burner which was previously reviewed here on the board.

I'm in the middle of some hard drive juggling and am looking at some 3-hour progress bars so I decided to post how it's going.

The thing is really damn fast, first of all. It's also really quiet, no vibration, just a subtle hiss when it does something at high speed, keep in mind I have it running outside the case.

I usually write lengthy reviews but I really installed this thing half-assed today for a lot of reasons.

I will, however, teach you all, once and for all, how to take off the front plate to an optical drive so it will work in the mac pro.

As anyone who has tried to use a 3rd party drive in a mac pro will tell you, it will not eject out of the box.

There is a plate on the front of the tray that prevents this from happening.

How does apple get around this? they buy the drives, snap off the plate, and GLUE a piece of plastic on it BY HAND (I've had a few that were crooked!!)

Anyways, you're going to need to know how to do this quickly, easily, and painlessly if you want to upgrade your mac pro's drive for under the cost of a replacement part from Apple (probably over a hundred dollars for a $15 drive).

First, take a paper clip and shove it in the tiny hole under the tray. This will unlock the tray and nudge it outside the drive. Grab the tray and slowly pull it out a couple inches.

Then, grab the thing like I am doing in the picture below--index fingers on the tray itself, and only the thumbs touching the plate.

Keep in mind, you will do NO DAMAGE to the plate and it should COME OFF EASILY.. just thought I should mention that...

Pull OUT, away from the drive using your THUMBS touching only the plate, you're pulling the plate towards you slightly. This will disengage the little grabby things. While doing so, push UP--towards your index fingers. Please note that UP is the only direction these things like to go.

I've had a lot of practice doing this. I had a job in PC salvage up until a few months ago and I really destroyed the hell out of a bunch of QA-failure drives in very creative ways.

You may note below that I'm keeping the drive outside the case. Those cables feed back and into the onboard SATA ports. This is because I want access to the two SATA ports from outside the case, should I need them (as you can see, I'm testing a hard drive right now in the static bag).

No word yet on whether or not this is bootable--again, I'm busy now or I'd try it. I reinstalled OS X a few hours ago. Apparently OS X doesn't like to be 'cloned' more than 3 times. Go figure.

Anyways, thanks for reading, I've only had it installed for 20 minutes but so far this is a great drive!

Attached Files:

2. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

It boots the install disc!!

By the way, this thing will NOT work in boot camp due to the port it has to use on the motherboard.

You could plug it into another SATA port if you're not using all 4 hard drive bays, but the 2 extra ports are not detected in Windows for some reason.

I tested a hard drive in bootcamp once running on that bus and it was undetected, I haven't tested this one yet but I'm sure it's the same result.

UPDATE: The drive does not appear to work with ardiem.

3. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

lol why'd you do that? You can grab a OEM Pioneer 112 (or 111) so both drives will be identical.

Also you can grab those cheap external sata PCIe slot brackets and just connect internally to the SATA slot...much cleaner job.

4. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

The 212D is faster than the 112/111 and there's no bus problems burning with two drives at once because it's SATA and not IDE like the 111/2.

Problems are especially prevalent when copying from drive to another (or so I hear).

Though I haven't experienced any problems burning with both IDE drives at the same time, others have. My main reason for upgrading is for speed and because I had to replace my 111D anyway because it 'wore out'.

Also, a bracket wouldn't make any difference, it'd just look different on the back of the case. I would still need two SATA cables coming out of the case. I'm using the internal power supply as well, so I need to feed more than just SATA out--I need power too (see the brown wires?). Having a bracket would actually be a hassle, in this case.

It's somewhat wasteful to have a big honkin' PSU and have to attach another one right outside the case just for aesthetic enhancement, isn't it? :)

There are real benefits to using SATA, and this drive in particular. I like it.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Whatever fits your needs :)

I was just recommending that you get an external eSATA enclosure with it's own power supply.

Also IDE is more than enough for DVD burners, even above 20x. In reality, burners just start to burn faster in the outter area, and the average is 8x anyway.

Via ATA133, I could easily get about 65MB/sec on good WD drives.

6. slughead thread starter macrumors 68040

slughead

I have one. It's wasteful to use it when I don't have to though.

Latency is lower with SATA when using two drives (which I do). Not to mention what I said before: there are bandwidth issues with IDE when using two drives on the same bus, especially copying data from one to another.

The only real solution for a person who really uses two drives at once is to have one or both be SATA.

For one drive, however, there's no good reason to go SATA.

7. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have two SuperDrives in my Quad Mac....I've copied DVD's and CD's from cd to cd and dvd to dvd...pretty fast. I do agree that SATA is the way to go, but it wasn't what Apple intended to do, so I'll just go with what they did.

I love SATA, IDE is old tech anyway.

8. downset macrumors member

does anyone know how to get the extra sata ports working under XP bootcamp?

i might try rerouting all the cables so my 2 mac HD are connected to themotherboard and the sata drives to bay 1 and 2

but if there is a fix or maybe if the next bootcamp fixs this i dont want to go through all the trouble

does anyone know what the problem is? drivers? firmware? efi? bootcamp? would this even be possible to fix?

9. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I'm guessing it's a driver issue. Those 2 ports might not be on an intel controller. Call up Applecare and ask to see what it's for.

10. downset macrumors member

all 6 sata ports show up as intel ESB2 AHCI in system profiler

11. downset macrumors member

found a way to make the drives work in bootcamp

after finding this thread in the onmac forums i finally was able to get my pioneer sata drive to work under bootcamp:

http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=2739

basically you have to do the following:

install xp and ubuntu linux with a pata dvd drive
    in xp change the ide 2680 driver to the intel ahci driver found here:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...stems&lang=eng

boot into ubuntu and change the stage1 file of the grub bootloader to this:
    http://www.olofsson.info/grub/stage1

this keeps the mac pro in ahci mode when booting a foreign os

now you can boot windows using the linux partition, this will start grub and keep the mac pro in the correct mode

i also installed refit to make things a little easier but as far as i know using alt when booting shoud work too

if anyone tries this and has any questions feel free to ask