installed 85 apps within first 10 minutes, how will I ever find anything once there are 10000+ apps?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by watermelonbook, Nov 13, 2015.

1. watermelonbook macrumors regular

I got my 2nd ATV4 yesterday. (the 1st one was returned)

Within 10 minutes, I managed to install over 85 apps. These 85 are the ones that I will probably use at least once a week, so no useless apps like solitaire or something. :)

With only 85, it's already confusing enough to find anything on the home screen.

I have no idea how many ATV4 apps will eventually show up in the app store, but I guess 10,000+ or more? If I end up installing a couple hundred apps, how will I ever find anything? The ATV4's home screen has no sorting options(alphabetically or based on recent usage). I don't think I'll ever have the energy to sort them manually.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3. watermelonbook thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure I can remember the names of that many apps. :D

I don't think Siri will appreciate it very much if I keep asking her
    "open that app that does that thing that I like, you know, that one?"

I returned the 1st ATV4 last week. Bought the 2nd one yesterday.
    Is it my imagination or has the sheer number of ATV4 apps exploded
    like crazy within a week?

4. PeterJay macrumors newbie

PeterJay

I don't think you are really going to continue to add apps in that quantity.

5. koa macrumors 6502

Did you update to 9.0.1 yet? Your apps are listed by category in the purchased section which might help searching.

6. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

Does Apple TV support folders like iOS does? That would be perfect if it did.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Not in the current state, but it may be something added later in an update. There was an article posted where someone found hints of folders.

8. eneisch macrumors 6502a

9. Rigby macrumors 601

I'd be genuinely curious to hear back from you 3 months from now which apps you are actually still using then.

10. watermelonbook thread starter macrumors regular

on my phones, there are at least 93 apps that I use at least once every week.
    (according to the app usage tracker app on my old Note 4 and current Note 5)

on the ATV4, I imagine I will most likely end up with just 20 to 30 apps that
    I use at least once every week. :)

11. Rigby macrumors 601

Yeah, I have about 100 apps on my phone and iPad. But I haven't seen anywhere near that many on the ATV that I find interesting. The only apps outside of streaming apps like Netflix etc. that I have installed are the side-loaded MAME and "Alto's Adventure" (since I already had that game on iOS). I could see it as a nice diversion during commercial breaks, but unfortunately I don't have any commercial breaks (since I basically only use Netflix, Hulu ad-free, HBO Go and the like). :p

One app that was really a nice surprise for me is "Mediathekensuche". It provides access to the streaming portals of the big public TV stations in Germany (kind of like the German equivalent to the BBC iPlayer). Since I've lived in Germany for many years this is very welcome. Before I had to download the content on a computer and import it into iTunes to play back on the ATV3, which was kind of a hassle. So that's finally one app that provides some added value over the old ATV for me.

12. watermelonbook thread starter macrumors regular

I'm wondering if BBC iPlayer app will eventually show up for ATV4 users in the UK. If so, I'll probably have to look into getting a VPN service again. :) (so I can watch it from the U.S.)

As for having too many apps... I just did a factory reset and it's a real PITA to have to download every app again, one by one.... Or is the ATV4 capable of reinstalling apps that I already had previously? :(