Installed a new 500gb hard drive in my 13" 2.53GHz uMBP last night.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Imola Ghost, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I was reluctant to try it out since I had constant spinning beach balls and consistent freezing. But after trading out the previous MB with this new MBP, I decided to install the same hard drive that I had in the old MB into this new MBP. I did a fresh clean install without any cloning or Time Machine restore.

After getting everything setup and [mouse, background and email settings], I updated all of the software updates that were available for my laptop. Once those were up and running I had FINDER open and clicked on the documents folder and the beach ball started spinning. I also noticed it almost as soon as Itunes was up and running. I haven't had any freezing yet like my last MB but I'll give this a few days to see how it works out.

I'm hoping that Apple [or someone here] can figure out why a lot of us are having problems with using a aftermarket hard drive along with that firmware update.

2. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

its weird, my wife has a standard uMB 13" and sometimes she gets the beachball in just FF. Othertimes, i can have open iPhoto, iMovie, itunes, FF and finder and nothing. It would be nice if there was some logic to it.

3. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

You might want to try a clean install of the OS.

Just a thought....

4. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

that's usually what I've always done, is a format and clean install of everything and still got the beach balls and freezing. I have tried Time Machine at first and still got the problems and then I just switched clean install of everything.

5. lavinci macrumors 6502

6. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

It came with 4gb's of RAM, and don't even have any programs installed on it. I have only the OS and what applications it came with.

7. Smacky macrumors 6502

Do you have EFI firmware 1.7 update installed?

8. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

+1
    I am staying away from that update, as an HDD user I have nothing to gain from it.

9. Skydiver32 macrumors member

Im getting beach balls with the stock drive on a month old MBP

10. Z06jerry macrumors regular

A fresh install of the OS is required after you moved it from the uMB to the uMBP because the hardware is different. (I know you stated that you did a fresh install but I thought I would mention it again to be sure).

Something else to check - is your new hard drive the WD Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT? This hard drive has a reduced power saving mode RPS and a spread spectrum clocking mode SSC. These modes are enabled with a jumper. If it is the WD Scorpio Blue, any chance it has the jumper installed? The default position is no-jumper. See link ..

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2670&p_created=#jumper

Attached Files:

11. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes

12. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

No, here's the drive that I have.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...cb2d110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&reqPage=Model

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

We're not using Windows here. Reinstalling OS X is a last resort. If you're using Windows and a restart doesn't fix the problem, then sure, reinstall. But if that's the only advice you have to give, then leave the troubleshooting to people who know a little more than you.

14. Smacky macrumors 6502

Might want to download Onyx and do a repair permissions and run the system cleaner
    Then reboot and reset the pram (cmd+opt+p+r)

15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'd recommend putting activity monitor to work for awhile. Leave it running and watch processor usage when your system hangs... does it spike? If not take a look at network usage. Is something trying to access the internet? What does your memory usage look like? Are you having some significant pageins/pageouts at that moment?

Also try taking a look at console to see if that will give you any clues. Something is likely going on in the background that's causing your issue.

16. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I moved my 500GB Seagate 7200 from my Jan 09 white MB 2.0 to a refurb uMBP 15" 2.53 with no issues. Only had to re-install Cisco VPN and put in a couple of serial numbers from Apps that noted the change. No beach balls or slowdowns. Since this is a refurb it is not a system impacted by the firmware 1.7 issues. I've known several people who have sucessfully moved from one nvidia-based system to another without a reinstall prior to the June 09 uMBP updates.

Don't know if your MB was nvidia-based but if it was, perhaps the new June updates as slightly different and require a reinstalled of the OS.

Cheers,

17. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Moving the hard drive from a uMB to a uMBPro requires a fresh install using the uMBP discs. I know this from first hand experience. If you don't do a fresh install you will have problems (with at the very least the firewire and usb). The fact that uMB doesn't have firewire and the uMBP does is probably why.

18. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem with a $500 OCZ Vertex drive. Apple is being real lame with the new MBP's. It works fine in my new Mini and MP.

19. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem with a $500 OCZ Vertex drive. Apple is being real lame with the new MBP's. It works fine in my new Mini and MP. I honestly think there doing it on purpose.