Installed my GTX285 in 2009 mac pro, speed has decreased by half HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by KHudsonFilms, Aug 13, 2009.

1. KHudsonFilms macrumors newbie

I got my mac pro early 2009 and it originally had 2gbs ram and an Nvida something I dont recall, nothing special though. Since then Ive increased ram to 14gbs and just recently installed the GTX 285 and for some reason my computers speed or anything hasnt changed a bit other than the response time is even slower than it was before. Im Mainly editing Graphics and HD video footage in Final Cut Pro and Adobe after effects through an External hard drive via firewire 800, is there anything Im supposed to do to get my programs to speed up other than just installing ram and a better graphics card? HELP! Thanks! :apple:

2. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Is your MP a nehalem MP? If it is then it came with 3GB RAM standard(4 core) and 6GB RAM(8 core). Also, have you downloaded the lastest drivers directly from Nvidia's website?

3. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

You sure it was an early 2009 MP? It shouldn't of come with 2gbs of memory..

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

He said he bought it in early 2009, not that it was an early 2009 model...could have been the previous gen that he bought in Jan. or Feb.

5. KHudsonFilms thread starter macrumors newbie

yes..

got it jan 09, came with 2 gigs of ram, 8 core processor and I upgradfed to 6gigs upon purchase, (unless they fooled me and said it only came with two but it actually came with 6 and they charged me for the extra) I then later upgraded to 14 gigs of ram (which did nothing to improve anything) and then I install the GTX 285 and still nothing its even slower now... Ive got the latest drivers... could it be because im working from and external drive? :(

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Yeah are you saying you're booting off an external??

Do you meet these requirements?

Mac Pro (Early 2009 with 1066Mhz DDR3) or Mac Pro (Early 2008 with 800Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM memory)

And is your OS X up to date (10.5.8)?

7. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

You would benefit from a Velociraptor or SSD more than any graphics card.

8. KHudsonFilms thread starter macrumors newbie

yea...

Im not booting off of external Im working off of one. and yes my computer meets all of these requirements

9. KHudsonFilms thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the velociraptor or ssd?

10. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Externals are slow to work off of unless you're connecting through eSATA or faster. A faster video card won't really speed up your particular line of work.

11. KHudsonFilms thread starter macrumors newbie

So would an SSD or Velociraptor help me?

12. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Yeah that or if you edited it from internal drives and only used your external as a backup it'd be faster that way too.

13. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Basically you want to improve the disk that you run FCP off of. Firewire 800 isn't too bad but it will be limiting if you are accessing large files (which you are most likely). IMO for video editing a Velociraptor (its a 10k RPM drive) or large 7200RPM drives in RAID are much better bang for buck than SSD due to the size. I personally avoid using RAID so I have a Velociraptor. Works quite well.