Installed new battery/hard drive/SATA cable, now macbook shuts every 15 minutes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by literallyDeadFromMojave, Nov 18, 2018.

1. literallyDeadFromMojave, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018

literallyDeadFromMojave macrumors newbie

literallyDeadFromMojave

I installed a new battery, 860 evo, and sata cable because I thought mojave was causing major slowdowns in my laptop.

Now, my laptop is not slow anymore but it is shutting down randomly every 15 minutes on battery power. I'm thinking it's the faulty battery?

mid/late 2012 Macbook pro 8GB crucial ram chips

installed:
    500GB 860 evo (new)
    SATA cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJQCJWG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (new)
    battery: TEMARK A1322 (new)

mojave 10.14.1

Tried:
    restarted PRAM, double checked connections to battery/hard drive etc.

Thinking it can only be the faulty battery or maybe the battery needs to be "broken in"? I've never had this problem before and obviously it's either

a) one of the new components i just installed or
    b) i damaged something in the install (possible but i was very careful on everything

2. PROFESS0R macrumors regular

does it shut down just as frequently on AC power?

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Nope -otherwise all new MacBooks would do this.

In addition to seeing if it shuts down similarly on AC power, replace the original battery and see if that resolves it - I'd also suspect the new battery is faulty.

4. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

5. literallyDeadFromMojave thread starter macrumors newbie

literallyDeadFromMojave

Nope, I left it on last night overnight as I usually do listening to lectures for sleep. Was on when I woke up. Although I wasn't switching between apps but if it's really the battery that shouldn't matter I guess.

I threw it away in a zealous naive haste. have to order another now sad face

I also suspect a faulty battery. I've been using bacbook all day today sans power cable with no issues now so if it happens again I'll order another battery and post update. Thanks guys .

6. literallyDeadFromMojave thread starter macrumors newbie

literallyDeadFromMojave

Aaaaaaand it happened again. I just placed the replacement order on Amazon so with any luck it won't happen twice in a row. Will keep you guys updated.

7. literallyDeadFromMojave thread starter macrumors newbie

literallyDeadFromMojave

Second battery in a row. Haven't posted in a while because I just gave up dealing with this thing, I'm at my wit's end. Now there is no battery icon in the top right corner and it does not stay powered on once the plug is removed. However something of note is that it doesn't go to a full reboot from scratch upon removing the power cord. It seems to be able to hold some mystery charge and start up where I left off when I push the power button to turn it back on after reconnecting the power cord. So it's not running off battery power, but somehow the battery is giving enough power to cause it to not totally shut down when it is unplugged.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated. I am so tired of this macbook now and I feel like the answer is something so simple.

8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"Now there is no battery icon in the top right corner and it does not stay powered on once the plug is removed."

I could be wrong about this, but...

Is there a small, replaceable "power supply sub-board" (not sure what the correct name for it is) that plugs into the motherboard?

If so, that could be the problem.

You need to research this further.
    ifixit.com might be a good place to start.

9. literallyDeadFromMojave thread starter macrumors newbie

literallyDeadFromMojave

--- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2018 ---
    Not sure but I will check ifixit and see if there's anything. After posting this I just now noticed that while the macbook is unplugged/unconnected to power, the little light on the front right side that "blinks" or "breathes" continutes to glow a slow and steady off and on. So it can't be the battery...