Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elmkast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2019
Hardware:

CPU: 3 GHz Intel Core i7

GPU: Intel Iris 1536 MB

RAM: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

SSD recently installed: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1J3C23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motherboard/Laptop model: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Screen(s) Number: 1

Screen(s) Resolution: 2560 x 1600 Retina

Audio Codec: Unsure

Ethernet Card: None

Wifi/BT Card: Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x112) - Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.61.2 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1305.8)

What guide/tool I followed:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

What part I got an issue with:

The new SSD is working great on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. The issue arises on Windows 10 - I have tried with various different versions with the same result. And by THE issue I mean this is the only issue I have had, but it is a serious one. If I am running Windows 10 and I unplug my laptop charger, the screen freezes for around 10 seconds and then I get a BSOD (saying CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED). If I do not plug back in the charger, Windows 10 will restart, freeze again on the login screen, and then crash with the same error. If I keep the charger plugged in, there are no issues. If I unplug the charger while running MacOS, there are no issues.

NOTE: I am using a bootcamp installation workaround from the above guide. It worked as intended.

Here are the two recommendations to Install BootComp with success on a MacBook Air / Pro with a NVMe SSD :
leave the Magsafe charger plugged in during the whole installation process (don't run on battery)
When you see the error pop-up, "The Computer restarted unexpectedly....", please do the following :
1. Press Shift + F10 keys.
2. Launch "regedit".
3. Find this directory, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\ChildCompletion"
4. Once you can see "setup.exe" in the right section, double-click it and modify the value to 3.
5. Close the regedit.
6. Reboot

I realize that this is a very specific issue, but if anyone has ideas I would really appreciate it. I can also supply various config files or images if requested but at this point I'm not sure what would be useful.

naq7826

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
Hardware:

CPU: 3 GHz Intel Core i7

GPU: Intel Iris 1536 MB

RAM: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

SSD recently installed: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB -https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K1J3C23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Motherboard/Laptop model: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)

Screen(s) Number: 1

Screen(s) Resolution: 2560 x 1600 Retina

Audio Codec: Unsure

Ethernet Card: None

Wifi/BT Card: Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x112) - Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.61.2 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1305.8)

What guide/tool I followed:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/upgrading-2013-2014-macbook-pro-ssd-to-m-2-nvme.2034976/

What part I got an issue with:

The new SSD is working great on MacOS Mojave 10.14.6. The issue arises on Windows 10 - I have tried with various different versions with the same result. And by THE issue I mean this is the only issue I have had, but it is a serious one. If I am running Windows 10 and I unplug my laptop charger, the screen freezes for around 10 seconds and then I get a BSOD (saying CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED). If I do not plug back in the charger, Windows 10 will restart, freeze again on the login screen, and then crash with the same error. If I keep the charger plugged in, there are no issues. If I unplug the charger while running MacOS, there are no issues.

NOTE: I am using a bootcamp installation workaround from the above guide. It worked as intended.

Here are the two recommendations to Install BootComp with success on a MacBook Air / Pro with a NVMe SSD :
leave the Magsafe charger plugged in during the whole installation process (don't run on battery)
When you see the error pop-up, "The Computer restarted unexpectedly....", please do the following :
1. Press Shift + F10 keys.
2. Launch "regedit".
3. Find this directory, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\ChildCompletion"
4. Once you can see "setup.exe" in the right section, double-click it and modify the value to 3.
5. Close the regedit.
6. Reboot

I realize that this is a very specific issue, but if anyone has ideas I would really appreciate it. I can also supply various config files or images if requested but at this point I'm not sure what would be useful.
Create a High Performance plan and use it

mark morrison

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2019
Oh man! Can’t believe the fix was that simple. I had been trying to install this for months, LOL

F-bone

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
dude naq7826

you rock man. The regedit worked in some other laptop I had but not with the one I tried now.. but the power scheme solved it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.