Installing 512GB SSD - Will cloning hard drive preserve my Boot Camp partition?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wilywampa, Sep 21, 2011.

1. wilywampa macrumors member

I am going to replace my 2011 MacBook Pro's 500GB hard drive with a 512GB Crucial M4 SSD. It looks like a simple process to clone the existing hard drive onto the SSD, especially since I have a USB hard drive enclosure at my disposal. However, none of the guides I've seen have mentioned Boot Camp. When I clone my existing drive onto the SSD, then install the SSD, will I still be able to choose between booting Windows or OS X?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The cloning process will only clone the Mac half. To clone the Windows half, use Winclone.

3. wilywampa thread starter macrumors member

That makes sense. So I use one tool (what tool is best?) to clone the OS X partition onto the SSD, and Winclone to clone the Windows partition onto the SSD. Does the MacBook automatically figure out that there are two partitions, or will have I have to do something in Disk Utility or something to repair the boot options?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll have to make a second partition in Disk Utility for Winclone to put Windows back on. It can be of any format, it just needs a second partition.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner. Another product that some people use is SuperDuper.

5. wilywampa thread starter macrumors member

According to this guide, Winclone requires NTFSProgs. Will that conflict with Paragon NTFS?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

NTFSProgs is just a small set of command line utilities that Winclone will offer to install for you. They do not conflict with third party NTFS read/write drivers. But just to be safe, I usually disable any third part NTFS read/write drivers when using Winclone to restore or backup a Boot Camp partition.

7. wilywampa thread starter macrumors member

Great, thank you very much. Now I just have to decide if I really want to drop $722.99 for a faster hard drive :eek: