Installing a Crucial 2GB RAM with the original RAM that came with Mac Mini (2009)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trevpimp, Apr 23, 2009.

1. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Hey,

Are there any downfalls if I install one 2GB RAM (Crucial) with the one that came with the Mac Mini (early 2009)?

Because I heard that if I use 4GB, I only get like 3.3GB.

So instead of spending $70 for 2/2GB, I should just get a single 2GB and install it with the regular one that the Mini came with.

Any problems with doing this?

Heres Link to Crucial:http://crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=F1D632EEA5CA7304

(Im trynna say is, does it matter what "brand" I use for the RAM?)

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

This only applies for Windows

With Mac, 4GB = 4GB

3. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Just for others that may come across this thread in the future... whether or not your Mac can handle 4GB of RAM really depends on the model in question; the RAM section of the OWC store has a good run-down of what the limits are for each model.

That said, yes for the 2009 Mac Mini, 4GB is OK. The brand doesn't matter so long as the specs are the same (in this case everything looks right). The only bonus is that if you install two sticks of the same size, you'll get a small speed boost (though in the real world it's essentially imperceptible).

4. incandenza macrumors member

Another question is how many times you're going to feel like opening up your mini. To me, it would be well worth it to spend the extra $35 just to know that I wouldn't have to mess around with opening it again in the future. (Not that it's really that hard, but why need to do it twice?)

And yes, on that model you're getting the full 4G anyway. Might as well go for it. I find it's pretty easy to have about 3G in use even with a very normal set of apps running, without even really getting into anything heavy.

5. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Also, remember, the Mini is not considered "user serviceable" by apple, so you do void your warranty by opening it.

6. incandenza macrumors member

That's not what I've heard, actually. Everything I've read has said that the warranty is still valid. You just can't make a claim on the warranty for anything you damage in the process of doing the upgrade.

7. trevpimp thread starter macrumors regular

trevpimp

thats the point, I can say I didnt break the HDD while installing the RAM, do they have proof that I did or didnt. I still you think your idea is good though.

Why dont I just go all out and get the $799?

That way I can just get it and use it the minute I open it. and I get 320GB.

Better Idea ;)

8. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Not was I was told at the genius bar. I would hope that they know their own policies.

9. incandenza macrumors member

Sure, you would hope. But I've found that individual employees in a situation like that can easily be mistaken.

Here's one reference; you can easily Google up 10 or more others:

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/macmini/topic2551.html

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The new Nvidia chipset is capable of 8GB, just look at the current iMac and MacBook Pro with Apple shipping those with an 8GB option, don't know if anyone has tried it in the Nvidia-based Mini yet.

11. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

That article is written from 2005 when the mini first came out, and though the macworld guy says it's within warranty, I think the policy is more concrete at this point.