Installing a .DMG of OSX Tiger/Leopard from Firewire onto iMac G5 iSight?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dabidoe, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Dabidoe macrumors newbie

So i've been doing a good amount of research on this seeing as I want to get my computer up and running rather than sitting on a desk. I just bought an iMac G5 second hand. The disks given to me with it didn't work, big surprise I have to install the OS myself.

Things I have:

1TB External HD with a 800-400 firewire which I can hook up to my iMac G5.

.DMG files for installing leopard and tiger as well, just wanted to be certain.

This is what I've gathered from the snippits of youtube clips/forums I've pieced together.

----
    Convert .dmg into .iso disk image on disk utility or something like that

Partition 10GB+ of Mac os X Journaled on my External HD

put the image "INSTALL MAC OS X" .iso or .dmg or whatever on the partition
    :confused:
    plug in my external hard drive and boot iMac in target mode to install?

---

Before I start trying to do this, I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time. There are so many different variables, at a certain point while researching how to do this everyone always goes back at some point to reference the install Disks. I don't have them, I've got "clones" of them downloaded from the internet.
    :eek::cool::confused:

2. jbarley, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

These clones are considered as pirated software by many, and as such can be a touchy subject on this and many other Apple related forums.
    I would suggest you not hold your breath while waiting for assistance on how to put them into service.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Target mode is for use with multiple Macs. Do you have an Intel based one that you can use? One that can even run Leopard?

4. Dabidoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok gotcha. Yeah I have a 2008 mac Book Pro it's on it's last leg so I barely use it. I also have a 2010 mac book air but it can barely hold any space. I'm tempted to try and buy the install discs somewhere save myself a headache. might as well give it one serious attempt though

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You want to use the MBP, quick and easy way is just to partition it, restore the Leopard DMG to the partition, and then boot from that and set the iMac as target and install that way.

6. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

But be sure to format the iMac hard drive with Apple Partition Map (APM) before installing OSX.

7. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan