Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phgreer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
Greenville, SC
I've had the worst time trying to get MySQL to work on my Mac running OSX. I've tried serveral version. One was a binary zipped file that I had to compile via the command line the other was a package that installed it. I can get to the point when it installs and some stuff runs but I can NEVER get a

mysql>

prompt

the most common errors has to do with a sock file.
:confused:

I want to be able to test web sites I develop using php and mysql on my iBook. I've got php working fine. (made the correct adjustments to apache, etc. My getting mysql to work is not working. It's not taking any password. (my user or root or the one it asked me to set up of mysql.

I read this board a lot and see a lot of good responses here in addition to the rumor stuff.

Thanks.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Funny, I just reinstalled mySql and PHP last night. This is my preferred MySql distribution:

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=17951&db=mac

It comes with a control panel to initialize the server, set the root password and start the server. It is also very easy to install and use and comes with great documentation on both installation, configuration and the SQL language.

I also recommend this:

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=17838&db=mac

For management of the server. It does everything except managing users and permissions (which is admittedly a pain in the neck).

Taft

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Re: installing and running MySQL on OSX

Originally posted by phgreer
I've had the worst time trying to get MySQL to work on my Mac running OSX. I've tried serveral version. One was a binary zipped file that I had to compile via the command line the other was a package that installed it. I can get to the point when it installs and some stuff runs but I can NEVER get a

mysql>

prompt

the most common errors has to do with a sock file.
:confused:

I want to be able to test web sites I develop using php and mysql on my iBook. I've got php working fine. (made the correct adjustments to apache, etc. My getting mysql to work is not working. It's not taking any password. (my user or root or the one it asked me to set up of mysql.

I read this board a lot and see a lot of good responses here in addition to the rumor stuff.

Thanks.

In response to your problem, I'm not familiar with this one. But the nice thing about the installer I pointed you to is that it sets up almost everything you need to run MySql on OS X. It handles all the user crap and configuration files. This makes it very easy to install and use.

I've tried other distributions and have always got them running, but only after sifting through tons of docs to help in the build/install/setup/run process (the true Unix way:) ). As long as this installer is available and this easy, I say use it. Leave the custom setup to those power users who really need the added configurability.

Taft

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
I got this MySQL package from Marc Linyage, which made it very easy to start up. You can get it here:

http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/mysql/

You can start up Marc's MySQL in the following manner in Terminal:
Code:
mysql -u [i]username[/i] -p [i]password[/i]
I think (but I'm not sure) the actual command to start up MySQL is "mysqld" for MySQL daemon if you are not running Marc's package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.