Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emen Mali

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2014
Chicago, Illinois
I having a hard time figuring this out and hopefully someone here can help.

I have MacBook Pro that a family member uses for music. The software/hardware requires 10.10 or 10.11. For some reason his macoS wouldn't continue loading. So Im trying to help install El Capitan onto his SSD. But everytime I connect via Recovery it won't download or it seems Apple pulled 10.11 (don't know) So I use Diskmaker to install El Capitan onto a 8gb USB *BUT* when I start his MacBook Pro to start the installation, I get a "this copy of OS X has been modified" or something like that. At this point I am stuck with HOW to get El Capitan onto his SSD. I should mention that my Mac Pro (2009) is running Mojave and obviously won't let me install it as an external drive.

Thanks.

aylward-drm

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2019
Saint-Lazare
I ran into similar problem. I was able to make a USB but the install would go to the very end and then say that the file is corrupt or modified and end. Such BS

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I having a hard time figuring this out and hopefully someone here can help.

I have MacBook Pro that a family member uses for music. The software/hardware requires 10.10 or 10.11. For some reason his macoS wouldn't continue loading. So Im trying to help install El Capitan onto his SSD. But everytime I connect via Recovery it won't download or it seems Apple pulled 10.11 (don't know) So I use Diskmaker to install El Capitan onto a 8gb USB *BUT* when I start his MacBook Pro to start the installation, I get a "this copy of OS X has been modified" or something like that. At this point I am stuck with HOW to get El Capitan onto his SSD. I should mention that my Mac Pro (2009) is running Mojave and obviously won't let me install it as an external drive.

Thanks.
Does the MBP support 10.11?
If yes, then Apple has changed how you get El Capitan. Now you have to download a DMG to create the "Install OS X El Capitan" app. You will need to follow the steps in the attached link:

Here is the old link to the App Store (that may or may not work any longer):

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.