Installing HS on internal freshly formatted SSD?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by yippi, Oct 16, 2017.

1. yippi macrumors member

I want to get rid of some deep seated anoyances in my internal BookPro SSD. The hardware is eligible for HighSierra. If I want to completely erase and reformat the internal drive, how would I go about freshly installing HS?

Would it make sense to install an OS (plus HS-installer) on a USB stick first, start up from there and do the HS installation from this external drive? Are there any pitfalls I need to take care of?

Thanks for your advice!

2. Joobs333, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

Joobs333 macrumors newbie

Joobs333

http://osxdaily.com/2017/10/02/clean-install-macos-high-sierra/

It's pretty straightforward if your machine is relatively new (check to see if your system is compatible with High Sierra) and yes it looks like u need a bootable USB stick. I'd def make a backup and if you want to take it a step further, I'd do a bootable external drive clone of your computer drive with software like carbon copy cloner (far more reliable than time machine) if you want to have the ability to revert back to your current computer state in case you aren't pleased with high sierra or encounter issues. Once you make a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner you can test boot off of that external drive before wiping your disk.

I do remember wiping my disk a couple of OS' ago without creating a boot disk, and the system was smart enough to do a direct OS download off of the internet when it detected that the drive was blank, but I wouldn't go this route, just fyi.

3. yippi thread starter macrumors member

Great advice, thanks. Of course I always keep 2 backups just in case and I stay far from TM, which betrayed me in the past.

I will just wait for the 2nd or 3rd update-iteration of HS.

4. Joobs333 macrumors newbie

Joobs333

No problem. High Sierra is slightly quirky right now so waiting can't hurt.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP asks:
    "Would it make sense to install an OS (plus HS-installer) on a USB stick first, start up from there and do the HS installation from this external drive?"

Yes.
    Things just seem to go better that way.

There are 3 free apps out there -- any one of them can create the USB installer easily:
    - Boot Buddy
    - DiskMaker X
    - Install Disk Creator

A suggestion:
    BEFORE you use any of the above, take a moment and make a SECOND COPY of the installer "somewhere else" for safekeeping. It can be anywhere you wish.
    I used IDC (above) and it appears to delete the installer from your applications folder when it's done (same as if you ran the installer from your hard drive). I'd rather that it not do this, but it does. So if you want a "retained copy", you need to do this first.

6. Joobs333 macrumors newbie

Joobs333

Those apps look interesting though anyone can open the terminal and copy paste this command to point the installer towards the usb:

http://osxdaily.com/2017/09/27/create-macos-high-sierra-bootable-installer-usb/