Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
So, with the imminent release of the new iPhone, I've come to wonder if this will be at all possible. I'm getting the new iPhone as soon as pre-orders start, and for development I want to install iOS 5 on the iPhone 4 I currently use. I've updated to iOS 6 on that one right now. I know it's possible to downgrade right now, but when I get my new phone, iOS 6 will have been released, which also means iOS 5 won't be signed anymore. I don't want to downgrade any earlier, because I need my phone, but is there anything else I can do while Apple is still signing, so that I can downgrade after iOS 6 is released?

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
So, with the imminent release of the new iPhone, I've come to wonder if this will be at all possible. I'm getting the new iPhone as soon as pre-orders start, and for development I want to install iOS 5 on the iPhone 4 I currently use. I've updated to iOS 6 on that one right now. I know it's possible to downgrade right now, but when I get my new phone, iOS 6 will have been released, which also means iOS 5 won't be signed anymore. I don't want to downgrade any earlier, because I need my phone, but is there anything else I can do while Apple is still signing, so that I can downgrade after iOS 6 is released?

Downgrade to 5.1.1 now, save your SHSH blobs, then go back to iOS 6 Beta, then downgrade to 5.1.1 again when you get your new phone.

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Sounds like a plan, thanks! One question, as I'm not too familiar with the jailbreak scene anymore: does my phone require to be jailbroken when I restore to iOS 5 after the signing window?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.