Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johncogan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Hi

I currently have Mavericks installed on my Mac Mini and have several applications installed such as:
Android Studio, IntelliJ, SourceTree, Photoshop, Netbeans and most important I have VMWare Fusion 7 installed with a copy of Windows 7 that I use for testing purposes.

This is my first Mac and am fairly new to OSX (1.5 years of general usage) and have never installed OSX myself.

Is there a "best method" for installing Yosemite as a clean install and restore these applications. I want to avoid the hassle over installing everything over again if this is possible.

I have Mavericks time machined already, so I am assuming it is as simple as installing Yosemite and then restore from timemachine? Or is an update recommended instead of a clean install?

Mac Mini has 16 Gb RAM.

Any pitfalls/advice please?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 16 Gb RAM

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Agree that use migration assistant to recover your profile and application ONLY will give you a relatively clean OS X Yosemite.

I use this method, and the system is very smooth, apart from some application (e.g. LogMeIn server apps), most of the applications do not require any reinstallation and works perfectly.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I don't see the point in clean installing. This strikes me as a Windows hangover when you needed to just start fresh with the reg file.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I'm thinking of doing a clean install. I had the public beta of Yosemite and the last two PBs and the general release have all made my 2011 MacBook Pro sluggish. I know it is a 3 year old machine, but it was always pretty snappy. Now, it takes forever for programs to open and I cannot seem to find any of the cool new features.

Also, for some reason even though I never had to do this before every time my computer boots up I have to choose a user and enter a password and enter my password when it wakes up. I have double checked my security settings and I do not have it set to require a password upon waking and am finding this extremely annoying.

Any experts out there think a clean install will help with these issues? I am at a loss!

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
The subjects been beat to death but....doing a clean install essentially means fewer potential issues. The only downside is the need to re-download/install all of your app's and put back all of your data, music, etc.

jfischer

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2014
My month-old iMac 27" came with Mavericks, and to get caught up I had to download Yosemite DP1-8, then the GM 1-3. Since I am fine with reinstalling my apps, I did a fresh wipe/reinstall of Yosemite from a USB stick just for peace of mind. Since I had 12 "beta" releases on top of Mavericks, it just seemed like a good idea.

Have no idea if it's really any better than just leaving it alone, but it didn't take that long and I know it's fresh and clean.

Your mileage may vary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.