Installing Snow Leopard - no destination disk

Discussion in 'macOS' started by timclare, Oct 25, 2013.

1. timclare macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have a 2008 Macbook (that was running Lion) that I wanted to restore to factory settings to give to someone as new. I have the install disk for Snow Leopard, but I wasn't able to install SL because Lion was installed. I followed the advice here (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2389334,00.asp), which may not have been wise, but it sounded like it would do what I wanted it to.

The issue is that I don't have any options to select as the destination disk for installing SL in the SL installer. I go to Disk Utility, and I can't add a partition as all options are greyed out. (I have uploaded a screen shot of Disk Utility to show what I mean).

I have a backup from my Lion days on an external HD. If restoring this is the only option, could you please outline steps to do so? Ideally I would like to be able to create a destination to install SL.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't need to add a partition, you just need to erase the one you have.

Boot to the SL DVD then start Disk Util and select the drive itself at the top (like Seagate 500GB or whatever) and go to the erase tab. Select Mac OS Extended then click erase. That should erase the entire drive including the Lion recovery partition. Then quit Disk Util and go ahead with your install.

3. timclare thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input, but when following your recommendation the entire "erase" section is greyed out - I can't erase anything.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you by any chance have Filevault encryption turned on in Lion?

Can you maybe get a clearer picture.... the one you posted is really blurry.

Can you still boot to Lion, even from the external disk? If so, do that, then enter "diskutil list" (without the quotes) in Terminal and tell me the output of the command.

5. timclare thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have uploaded two better photos - one selecting erase (all is greyed out) and one selecting partition (again all is greyed out).

I am not sure if I can boot to Lion - I only have a Time Machine backup on an external HD. Can you boot from this? If so, can you point me to directions for doing so?

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It looks like you cloned the 10.6 installation DVD onto the internal hard drive and that's what you're using for a startup disc. Try restarting and making sure you're starting from the DVD. That will allow you to erase the hard drive and install to it.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I reread that article you linked, and it looks like they had you clone the DVD to the drive, and like Intell mentioned, it looks like maybe you have booted from that.

Are you sure you are holding the C key and booting from the SL DVD?

If your Lion Time Machine backup is current and was made with 10.7.2 or later, yes, you can option key boot from that and get to a recovery partition that can be used to erase the drive and restore from your backup.