Installing WD Scorpion Blue 500GB HDD on my May 09 uMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harcosparky, Jun 14, 2009.

1. harcosparky macrumors 68020

OK so I bought the notebook back in May, not that long ago. It came with a 250 Gig HDD which I knew would be insufficient for me.

I bought a WD Scorpion Blue based on several tests and reviews, it is the best overall drive out there even comparing it to the 7200 RPM drives.

Well all my 'tests' are done, the uMBP is definitely a " keeper " and now I am installing the 500 Gig HDD as we speak.

WOW could Apple have made upgrading the drive any easier.

One screw holds it into the notebook - remove 4 screws from the HDD and install into the new HDD. Install the new HDD into the computer attaching one connector and one screw. Reinstall battery, cover it up and INSTALL the OS.

I can't wait to get it " off the bench ", software loaded up and hit the road with it.

2. harcosparky thread starter macrumors 68020

This could replace my 24" iMac at home.

All I need is a display.

I love the new Trackpad and wish Apple would make a new keyboard for desktops with the Trackpad!! ;)

3. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Ya, I love how easy it is to swap hard drives out. It's unfortunate that in the new MBPs, it's harder to swap the hard drives out. But battery life is more important than how easy it is to swap a hard drive out.

BTW, I swap out the hard drives every time I brink my MBP into the store to get fixed. That way I have a physical copy of all my data without needing to spend the time to back it up.

4. harcosparky thread starter macrumors 68020

If I need more battery life, I buy another battery. I got 2 extras when I bought the MBP. So currently I enjoy 15 hours of battery time before needing to recharge! ;)

It's easier for me to change out a dead/bad battery with this one than it is with the new one. I guess a lot of users will buy a new notebook before they have to replace a battery, but I tend to keep them a little longer.

I still have my old G4 Powerbook, though one of my children is the primary user now.