Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harpangel36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
have a new MBP and have installed Fusion and have a couple questions before installing my Windows 7 Home premium. I only use windows for a couple of embroidery programs not available to me on the Mac. I don't need a lot of hard disk space as I really don't intend to use Windows for anything else. How can I manually allocate hard disk space in Fusion? (It seems to want to give me only 40GB of which I don't need that much). Should I choose 32 bit or 64 bit windows?
Anything else I should know before installing?

Thanks, Roxanne

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
have a new MBP and have installed Fusion and have a couple questions before installing my Windows 7 Home premium. I only use windows for a couple of embroidery programs not available to me on the Mac. I don't need a lot of hard disk space as I really don't intend to use Windows for anything else. How can I manually allocate hard disk space in Fusion? (It seems to want to give me only 40GB of which I don't need that much). Should I choose 32 bit or 64 bit windows?
Anything else I should know before installing?

Thanks, Roxanne

You can ask fusion to make a dynamic disk for windows, which will grow or shrink according to the amount windows needs.

While virtualizing, unless doing very RAM intensive stuff in windows(things that would require more than 4GB of it) you will not notice any difference between 32or 64bit windows.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
You can ask fusion to make a dynamic disk for windows, which will grow or shrink according to the amount windows needs.

While virtualizing, unless doing very RAM intensive stuff in windows(things that would require more than 4GB of it) you will not notice any difference between 32or 64bit windows.

Still just go with 64 bit. Better to be on the safe side.

harpangel36

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
It seems that when I choose easy install it is defaulted to 40GB of hard disk space. I can't figure out how to change that.

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
Still just go with 64 bit. Better to be on the safe side.
The 64bit version takes up about twice the hard drive space as the 32bit version when installing. For Windows Ultimate, 32bit installation takes about 8 GB and the 64bit about 16 GB. Apart from that, there is no noticeable difference. Windows 7 also requires less RAM than Lion. I have 2 computers running it perfect on 1 GB of RAM which is also what I allocate on my virtual machine (I use parallels). Since I only use 1 GB RAM on my Windows machines I chose the 32bit versions as max the max RAM used by the 32bit version is about 3 GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.