Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Believe it or not, I don't use any instant messaging on my Mac at home.

I haven't the first idea how it works or what software I need. In short, I'm completely clueless and would appreciate any help.

A few friends have been bugging me about getting it set up and I guess that's one thing I never bothered with when I was still on dial-up.

Please help drag me into the 21st century.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Get an MSN account (if that's what most of those you want to talk to use) using Microsoft's Mac MSN Messenger client. Then close MSN Messenger, for good (;)). Edit: Seems like you can skip this step, and just do what E says. :)

Download Adium X and set up the MSN account. Add friends (using their MSN usernames, often their email address), and you're up and running.

With Adium X you can also set up other IM accounts, like ICQ which some still use. If someone you know use this protocol, exclusively, you need an ICQ account to IM with them. Same goes for other protocols, like AIM, Jabber and Yahoo.

Good Luck.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I'd grab Adium. With Adium you can sign in to all the IM networks from one app.

For MSN you will need a .NET Passport, which you can get here. For AIM (AOL Instant Messenger, which works with iChat) you will need an AOL account, which you can get here.

That should at least get you going :)

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
Believe it or not, I don't use any instant messaging on my Mac at home.

I haven't the first idea how it works or what software I need. In short, I'm completely clueless and would appreciate any help.

A few friends have been bugging me about getting it set up and I guess that's one thing I never bothered with when I was still on dial-up.

Please help drag me into the 21st century.

download microsoft messenger/adium...from mactopia.com or adium mentioned above

if u have a hotmail account, i mean email account, i guess u're ready to go for MSN messenger...

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Shoot me for saying this if you like, but I actually prefer the MSN Messenger interface to Adium. :eek:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
dietcokevanilla said:
Shoot me for saying this if you like, but I actually prefer the MSN Messenger interface to Adium. :eek:
The other thing to add to that is I have been experiencing some lag when using Adium signed in to MSN recently....ain't that right DCV :p So maybe the proper MSN app might be your best bet after all.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
DarkNetworks said:
if u have a hotmail account, i mean email account, i guess u're ready to go for MSN messenger...

But you don't need to have a hotmail account do you? I'd rather not have one. Got a few standard email addresses with my ISP that I use and can add another if necessary.

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
Just MHO, with iChat and if there is an iSight or any webcam for that matter, I would prefer AIM over MSN since it is a lot more fun to do video chat than just IM. ;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Blue Velvet said:
But you don't need to have a hotmail account do you? I'd rather not have one. Got a few standard email addresses with my ISP that I use and can add another if necessary.
No you don't have to use a hotmail address. Using the .NET Passport link I posted above you can create a passport against any address which can then be used with MSN.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
The question on everyone's mind is now "Will Blue Velvet post her IM name so we can send her messages?"

:p ;)

I'm bad - the only IM'ing I've ever done is either on iChat or via SMS on my cell phone.

dornoforpyros said:
when chatting at work, keep the msg window as small as possible. And make sure your chat program is not saving chat logs....
The voice of experience speaking? ;)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
dornoforpyros said:
when chatting at work, keep the msg window as small as possible. And make sure your chat program is not saving chat logs....:p

It's probably extremely fortunate that the Macs at work are not connected to the web -- often, I'm pushing it by posting here.

This is strictly for personal pleasure at home. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
emw said:
The question on everyone's mind is now "Will Blue Velvet post her IM name so we can send her messages?"

Say what? Do you mean I have to discard my cloak of relative anonymity?

Hmmm... not entirely sure about that.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Oh no.. please say it isn't so. Don't do it BV!

I cannot imagine you conversing with someone who responds with:

"Wut r u doin?"

iSaint

macrumors 603
Of course, no one has approached the behavioral aspect of having IM. Everyone will always pop-up and say Wha'ts UP???!! and you say nothing much just surfing and they say cool! and you both sit there and there's no ethical part to saying goodbye ppl just leave or go idle or go away. So get ready for typing and spelling errors and abbreviations and IM talk, none of which I understand.

But it's still fun!

feel free to IM me for some test runs:)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Blue Velvet said:
Say what? Do you mean I have to discard my cloak of relative anonymity?

Hmmm... not entirely sure about that.
Well, we can PM you now if we wanted to, so it's not really that much less anonymous (unless your screen name is your real name or something). That being said, I was being facetious - I prefer the cloud of mystery that surrounds you. ;)

yellow said:
I cannot imagine you conversing with someone who responds with:

"Wut r u doin?"
Laughing Out Loud. :D

I can't even IM-speak in my IMs. :eek:

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
REAL MAC USERS USE ICHAT.. lol, naw but adium i hear is quite the chatter box if you know what i mean.. though i have a question.. if you haven't used chat programs, who ya gonna chat with? :eek:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I swear, this could be the beginning of the fall of "civilized" society.

I lyk rezpct BV 2 much 2 thnk she wud fall 4 dis crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.