Instant on on RMBP not working and overall sluggishness -- what could be broken?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook123, Dec 12, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

My RMBP had these issues since more or less I got it -- instant on isn't working, instead it takes about 15 seconds to show the Desktop, sluggish performance and freezes often especially when running multiple tabs (tens of tabs) in Safari, Aperture is almost completely useless, i.e. importing say 100 pictures makes the computer stall for about 20 minutes and it's almost impossible to browse through the pictures until the next day.

What could be broken?

The laptop also is accumulating more and more dead pixels.

I'm dreading having to wait for Apple Care to fix it, and for it to come back with an inferior screen. It is my only computer and I work on it 14 hours per day. So is there anything else I should try first, assuming I can live with the dead pixels? I already did a P and V RAM reset.

Btw this is a 2.6/512/16 configuration, so the specs can hardly be to blame...

2. Jaekae macrumors 6502

try restart computer holding D key or cmd + D , this will start the apple hardware test, i have alot of general UI lag in OSx, slow and some choppy applications, and the test give a error on the motherboard (logic board i think its called in mac words)

so i recomend everyone who experience lag on rmbp to do a hardware test

will get a replacement computer if im lucky or a repair

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the advice. I did the hardware test and it did NOT return any errors. Very disappointing. Do other people have instant on working? Are others able to use Aperture without the software hanging all the time?

4. efirmage macrumors member

Try resetting the SMC, PRAM, working in a different user, and reinstalling the OS. See if any app in particular causes the sluggishness.

5. scenox macrumors member

Aperture and instant on are working perfectly for me (rMBP 15"). Go get a replacement asap :cool: