Instead of macbookpro 500 gb, they just lowered macbook to 250!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ahaaja, Oct 24, 2009.

1. ahaaja macrumors member

Maybe sb already noticed:

when they released the new macbook, it specified 500 GB harddrive. People said they'd gonna top up the Macbook Pro to the equivalent since that one is only 160 GB but much more expensive.

Instead they've just lowered the Macbook to 250 GB.

It's getting more and more overpriced...

2. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I never saw it advertised as 500GB. Only up to 500GB.

3. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Dude, you're confused. The 250gb is the baseline, and the 500gb is an optional upgrade.

I do agree 160gb is low on the 13" MBP, though. It should be higher. If only because that drive size is actually becoming hard to find ;)

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Apple should start adding a 640GB hard drive option on the Macbook Pros.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

buy a hard drive on newegg and replace it, its pretty easy.

6. ahaaja thread starter macrumors member

when it was released last week, there was only one option and that was 500. there wasn't any 250. they added it now, but didn't lower its price.

7. ahaaja thread starter macrumors member

nobody asked where to buy a new harddrive. the quesiton is if it's reasonable to offer a laptop with 160 gb or even 250 gb harddrive in 2009? anything less than 500 gb is a joke these days... especially when you start off offering 500 and then a week later changes it to 250.

8. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

They didn't change anything. I was right here on macrumors when they released it, and I remember the specs. 250, upgradable to 500.

9. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

And I thought my recent upgrade to 320GB was great...

Dude, the simple fact is that not everybody needs endless amounts of space. I have a 90GB music library on this drive, as well as all my games, graphic stuff, videos, software, etc etc... and still have 80GB available...

"Anything less than 500GB is a joke these days..." I would have to disagree.

10. bluesTank macrumors regular

I think he is referring to the hard drive space you get for the ridiculous amount of money you pay for apple products these days.

Always the same with apple fanboys... they always talk about how they don't need something. No one really cares about your situation. The fact of the matter is, that it IS overpriced, regardless of how little stuff YOU might have.

11. belvdr macrumors 603

We should disable the "New Thread" button altogether then.

I believe what tristangage meant is that the majority does not require a 500GB hard drive.

12. bluesTank macrumors regular

What I meant is, don't argue with someone's point by saying "well I don't need it"

I don't need a mansion to live in, but I wouldn't pay a mansion price for the apartment I live in now.

13. belvdr macrumors 603

I know; it was a joke. ;)

I believe s/he was correct in that most people don't need a 500GB drive as the default configuration. Heavy users of CPU, disk, and memory have always paid more than the general population.

14. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

It was definitely not released with a 500GB HDD standard!
    It's always been 250GB standard with the new unibody plastic MacBook.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Most consumer laptops do not come with 500 gb hard drives.

16. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I must apologise for my mistake - my quote was a bit too general, my reply was aimed at the part where he said 'Anything less than 500GB is a joke...'. I was arguing against that point, rather than the price of anything. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Also, I wasn't saying 'I' don't need it. I was actually hoping to get across the point that there aren't too many people that do need it. I personally think (i may, of course, be totally wrong) that I use up a lot more disk space than the average computer user, and I certainly don't need 500GB of hard drive space, therefore the majority of computer users don't either. This was supposed to be my argument to ahaaja.

By the way, I don't think there was any need to get personal and start assuming that I'm a fanboy. I totally agree, the prices Apple charge are outrageous and unnecessary, but there's nothing we can do except just accept it and find another solution (such as buying elsewhere and installing yourself).

That's exactly what I meant.

He :D