Instead of talking about Q1 GDP growth of 3.2% Trump is defending Charlottesville comments

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Q1 growth of 3.2% was stronger than expected. Instead of talking about/pivoting to that Trump takes the bait and is talking about Charlottesville again, saying his answer to that question was perfect. And defending it by claiming generals at the pentagon told him Robert E Lee was their favorite general (I am going to go out on a limb here and say he’s making this up). Good grief. Trump is his own worst enemy.

[​IMG] POLITICO (@politico)
    4/26/19, 8:55 AM
    Trump defended his response to the violence in Charlottesville in 2017 when he said there were “very fine people on both sides.”

He said the was talking about people who “felt very strongly about the monument to Robert E. Lee. A great general, whether you like it or not.”
    https://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1121774769974566919/vid/960x540/KTpR4olcB2eJNK0-.mp4?tag=11

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I certainly don't defend his comments about Charlottesville. They were stupid. I do think he didn't mean to defend the neonazis, but when stuff like that happens playing the "both sides" thing is usually bad.

Biden will have to change his messaging however and he's biting on Trump's bait too. If he claims - like in the video he made to announce his candidacy - that we should get back the American spirit he's also reversing the clock towards those things that many on the Left points out as priorities, that is systematic racism, slavery, the confederacy etc.

3. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Well, in fairness, someone asked specifically about his Charlottesville comment. It would be weird if he started talking about the economy in response to that.

But yeah, his comments were plainly wrong and he shouldn’t be trying to defend them.

4. Rogifan, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Trump is not required to take questions from reporters. Any good White House comms shop would never allow it except in specific settings or at a scheduled press conference.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2019 ---
    Yeah that comment could come back to bite Biden. But Trump is his own worst enemy. No good White House comms shop would allow the president to stop and chew the fat with reporters every day. A good comms shop would know a question about Charlottesville is coming and wouldn’t allow the president to be in any situation where it could be asked. And if it was they’d make damn sure the president didn’t answer it. Joe Biden was asked all kinds of questions yesterday that he just chose not to answer. What’s worse I’m seeing people all over defending Robert E Lee, calling him the greatest general and all that. Even if one were to agree, why are we talking about Robert E Lee right now. Again, Trump doesn’t take Biden’s bait and we’re talking about something else.

5. Plutonius, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think that it's a no win proposition for him.

If he talks about the GDP, I think most viewers eyes start glazing over and the media pounces on him for not wanting to talk about Charlottesville.

When he talks about Charlottesville, the media spins his answer and we get complaints that he's not talking about the GDP.

6. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

True, but I don’t think the problem is that he’s answering questions about Charlottesville. The problem is that he’s wrong about his comments on Charlottesville and he can’t (or wont) acknowledge that.

7. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think the thing that most people dislike about politicians is that they refuse to speak unless it's from a teleprompter or a prepared statement.

I think that one of the major reasons that Trump was elected was his willingness to talk at most times with most people.

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

He doesn’t have to talk, period. It used to be a rare thing for presidents to do interviews or take questions from reporters. Not with Trump. He just can’t keep his big fat mouth shut.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Because US citizens suddenly fell in love with history! :eek: (one can only hope...)

10. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yes it is the problem because now he’s got everybody continuing to talk about it. If I’m the White House comms staff the message of the day is the economy or how about when is Joe Biden going to apologize to Clarence Thomas.

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Wouldn’t you rather know what crappy ideologies someone in office holds, vs never really knowing because his words are being carefully curated and filtered?

If Trump did keep his “big fat mouth shut”, it’s not like his opinions would be any different. We just wouldn’t be able to challenge them, and that’s pretty darned important because it seems like there are a lot of people out there with really crappy opinions that need to be challenged.

12. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I believe that it's a change for the better and that the change will remain even after Trump's presidency.

Politicians including Presidents should be required to do interviews and take questions from reporters.

13. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Again I’m not saying previous presidents never took questions or did interviews. But it was more rare and IMO made the comments mean more and carry more weight. I don’t think a day goes by that Trump isn’t speaking to a reporter. You combine that with Twitter and the guy never shuts up. What good is Trump vomiting out every thought that comes into his head? Especially when he’s worse than a day trader, he’s a minute by minute trader. Everything he says and does is all based on what he sees on cable news.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

While I'd love for him (and other politicians) to shut his gob, this is where politics - if not communication - is going. 24 news cycle, continuous snippets of this and that.

15. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I was amazed at the GDP number as I'm in the rising inflation and slowing growth camp right now. What was interesting is that the inflation rate is subdued because of lower consumer and business demand. This has to have the Fed quite concerned and thinking more about rate cuts than rate hikes. The GDP number had boosts from exports and inventory purchases. The latter appears due to concerns about the trade war which seems less of an issue these days. The inventory purchases will pull forward demand from Q2 and Q3 if consumer and business demand remain tepid.

So, for now, enjoy the headline. We'll have to see if spending bounces back in Q2. One bad sign last night was Intel's report. They reported slower server sales (though they can't keep up with consumer demand).

16. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Any bets on what that growth will be revised down to in the coming weeks? There’s been a funny trend of touting 3ish percent only for the number to be revised down later when no one is paying attention anymore...

17. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't think that revisions would come in the next couple of weeks. This was an impressive report as it's coming off a rate hike cycle. Rate hikes take about 18 months to filter through the economy and there was already a lot of damage from last summer to the end of the year but the rate hikes will continue to impede the economy. Furthermore, quantitative tightening continues though I think that they cut tapering from $50 billion a month to $35 billion a month and will end it completely in September. The economy has faced rather steep headwinds from Europe and Asia and the Fed only got the message in late December.

20-year Treasuries and Extended Duration Vehicles are up today - something that you wouldn't expect to see with this strong a GDP number. It's good to dig into the details of the report. I read a comment from my hedge fund advisory service and his conclusion is that the report wasn't the disaster implied by the mess in January and February nor was it as good as the headline number implied. You can make a case that it was great or that there were issues.

18. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

The Robert E. Lee part of this is probably taken out of context. My guess is that he heard they think he was a good tactician, then Trump spun that to fit his own narrative.

19. jerwin macrumors 68020

The President is wrong about a great many things. It's what makes him such a great president.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

So much irony. I do agree with him though, he did answer it perfectly, if you believe he likes to stoke racial tensions, which I certainly do believe.

21. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Trump doesn’t know the first thing about Robert E Lee. Someone probably told him Lee was a great general and so he’s parroting it. Again the point is why the heck is he talking about Robert E Lee in 2019? Watch the video of Charlottesville and the tiki torch carrying morons were shouting “jews will not replace us”. That has nothing to do with the removal of a Robert E Lee statue.