Institute for Human Continuity - 2012

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Feb 2, 2009.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Okay so this is obviously an advertisement for the upcoming motion picture 2012 but it's still very unsettling. If you have a MySpace, you probably already saw this...

ENTER: Institute for Human Continuity

2. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Why is this unsettling, we all gotta go someday right?

SLC

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Now that is a slick website, seriously. Great web designers.

I can't even put into words how moronic people have to be to actually believe in this whole 2012 thing though...

4. iAthena macrumors regular

At least we won't have to wait too long for it to be proved or disproved one way or another.

5. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

And I think I should point out that my comment was 100% sarcastic. I don't give an ounce of credibility to the 2012 speculation either.

But I maintain that we're all going to die someday, best to be prepared I suppose.

SLC

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

The people that believe the world is going to end on 2012 seem to forget that the Mayan Calendar doesn't stop. It goes back to the beginning.

7. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

They don't forget, they never knew in the first place.

But on the 21st of December 2012 (winter solstice) it is claimed that the sun will rise in the middle of the Milky Way Galaxy, causing an alignment between the earth, sun, and the galactic center. People like to use that to scare folks into believing that terrible things will happen at that time.

Some folks thing that the magnetic poles will shift very suddenly, leaving the earth vulnerable to cosmic radiation and annihilating the human race.

Others think that a currently unseen planet will appear in 2012 and collide with earth.

There are a lot of funny stories floating around out there, and I haven't seen or heard anything about this movie, but I suspect they're going to play off people's fears about the 2012 predictions.

SLC

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I suppose that horrible things could come to pass in 2012 - after all, we really don't have the perspective to judge relatively rare cosmic phenomena and their effects.

With regards to the Mayan calender - from what I know of it, 2012 does not mean the end - only a change.

I am intrigued by the theory of solar activity on a scale not seen before effectively frying all non-shielded electronics via radiation (a la EMP). That would cause a change all right...

nevertheless, I am not investing all my savings into canned goods and shotguns. What will pass will pass. Even in a doomsday scenario I'll be 38 - a decent amount of time on this earth, and I won't have to worry about retirement or increased medical insurance rates.

9. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Im a guy that can be easily convinced. This has gotten me to be scared s***less. Well, one good reason is because I am a young guy would be 24 in 2012. Not even going to be in my prime by then (usually prime age is 27-29). I havent done so many exciting things in my life (dont drink, party, etc.) but I am grateful for the kind of life that Ive had so far and the people that I've had in my life.
    I don't know what to expect in 2012 except that I pray the lord that myself and others live for a long time after the 12/21/12.

10. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Start doing it man! You're only going to live one time (afaik) and that experience is what you make of it. Do exciting things. If you want to get drunk or go to a party, do it. If you want to go to Hungary, make it happen. You're young (so am I), now is the time to do it. There is nothing saying you'll even make it to 12/12/2012, so live your life so that if you were on your deathbed tomorrow you could say I did what I wanted to, I lived how I wanted to, and I had a hell of a time doing it.

I had a good friend who died at about the age you and I are, I was devastated. But after a few weeks or maybe it was months I realized that even though he barely made it out of his teenage years, he had a great time and a great life. Now I try to live my life so that if something were to happen to me, people could say the same thing.

I'm certainly not saying go get hammered every night, but have a good time, try new things, and don't be afraid to take some thought out risks.

11. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You mean, the world isn't going to end in 2012? What am I going to do with all of these adult diapers and MREs?

12. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Well at least I'm cool with dying in 2012, b/c Sony Pictures will be right there to put it in a Academy Award movie :D...

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Actually, what they forget is that there is no reason in the world to expect that late neolithic cultures building stone pyramids in the jungle had any more insight into distant future events than we do.

14. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You guys are aware that this is part of a viral marketing campaign with the film "2012" by Sony Pictures...

I mean hell, at the bottom is says "Explore the 2012 movie experience" Along with a 2009© Sony Pictures Digital Inc. on the left hand side...

15. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

What you should be really worried about is the year 2010!

If you add up the digits you get 2+0+1+0=3
    If you then multiply the non-zero digits, you get 2x1=2
    Multiply 2x3 and you get 6
    Repeat this the three times from row 1 and you get 666!

It's an obvious sign that in 2010 the devil is coming to render unspeakable horrors on this world! People used to think that 2000 was the end of the world because God likes big round numbers in base 10, but in fact it's going to be 2010 because while God likes big round numbers, he likes number games even more! Although, if you pray REALLY REALLY hard, maybe you can change God's mind.

I'd start pooping in my pants right now, my friend.

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

You first!

So when is the world going to end? Like January 1 2012 at 12am or December 12, 2012 at 12pm? Which timezone?

Personally I'm more excited for District 9.

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

11:11 GMT. Adjust accordingly for your time zone. Kinda sucks that I have to get up at the crack of dawn for the end of the world. ;)

18. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Cool, at least I'll get the latest updates from the Nikkei, who said the end of times can't be that good?

Seriously though, 2012 sounds a little cheesy to me, but I believe that it could very well happen. However (and hopefully) not in 2012 :D

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can somebody please tell me what this is about? I can't watch video at work, and I can't go through the website right now.

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Lee, 2012 is a apocalyptic disaster movie starring John Cusack. This seems to be a bit of viral marketing for the movie. Trailers are available on Apple's website when you can watch the videos.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Ha ha, have a drink. :)

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Cusack? I'll be skipping it. He's a jerk.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's 5:11 AM my time...if the end of the world wakes my tired lazy ass up I'm going to be PISSED!

:D

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Mine too. I've decided I'm not going to bother with the alarm that day, because if the end of the world really happens, it will either kill me in my sleep or wake me up. Either way, I won't need a buzzer to tell me what's going on.

25. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

If this **** wakes me up I'm going to be bloody pissed.