Institutional bias suit by sole female exec amid 32 in group

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Aug 18, 2016.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well this suit could have legs, maybe. Plaintiff claims was forced to resign during maternity leave, had been there for 11.5 years, was stripped of final year bonus even though had brought in 45% more revenue than previous year (when made six-figure bonus) and even though male colleague doing simliar work got a bonus. Plus she was told needed to change her priorities when announced pregnancy. Two male bankers suggested she try less demanding job, like maybe human resources. Before she announced pregnancy, was on track to become managing director.

Case is Nayak v. Jefferies Group LLC et al, US District Court, Southern District of NY, No. 16-06528.

I know, I know, they'll say bonus never given if don't finish year, they'll say she was never on track for a promotion. Still doesn't look great that there are exactly zero female executives in whole industrial sector group now comprising 32 male senior VPs or managing directors.

I believe women are still graduating from STEM and law schools ready to become investment bankers. Well, the outfit could roll the dice :eek: on this case, or just listen to their house counsel and setlle.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-jefferies-lawsuit-idUSKCN10T1U8

Excerpts:

In a lawsuit filed on Wednesday night in federal court in Manhattan, former Senior Vice President Shabari Nayak said Jefferies harbors "deep institutional biases" against women, reflected when two top bankers told her that her "priorities" needed to change after she had become pregnant with her first child.

Nayak said Jefferies' actions, including letting her internal complaints fall on "deaf ears," forced her to resign in March while on maternity leave.

She said that ended her 11-1/2-year investment banking stint, and left her industrial sector group with 32 men and no women as senior vice presidents or managing directors.

====

Nayak said she had been on track to become a managing director in 2016 before she told co-defendants Peter Scott, head of industrials investment banking in the Americas, and Christopher Kanoff, global co-head of investment banking, of her pregnancy last August.

She said Scott offered to help her find a "less demanding" role, perhaps in human resources, and that he and Kanoff denied her a 2015 bonus though she brought in 45 percent more revenue than in 2014, when she received a six-figure bonus.

In contrast, she said a male colleague in her group who performed similar work received a "substantial" bonus for 2015.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This sounds very familiar to me. My mother was an anti-trust lawyer with the US Justice department in the 1970's. She kept getting passed over for promotions. Eventually she sued (a class action lawsuit no less). Her supervisors claimed she wasn't promoted because of her lack of court experience. You might ask why that might have been. The simple answer is that she prepared cases so thoroughly that every single defendant accepted her case and settled without a trial. She won her case against the Justice Department, of course. (Then she was harassed, sued the Justice Department once more, again successfully).

My ex is an academic who was interviewed for a job at a certain Ivy league institution. She didn't get the job but asked for feedback. They told her it was because she couldn't code. They never asked her. She had been coding for data acquisition and control in the lab for years.

The list goes on and on...

Just once, I'd like to see some male manager when confronted with an undeniable case of discrimination say "You're right. We blew it. We'll address your complaint. We value you. We'll put a stop to any possibility that this will happen in the future.", but instead all one gets is a bunch of backside-covering BS.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Tell me about it. They don't admit to any wrong doing ever! Our HR and managers/directors are constantly talking about how they take our integrity so seriously and every year we sign an integrity pledge and watch videos about any and all issues involving any wrongdoing. When they think anyone on my level does anything wrong, we are judged, letters in our files, jobs threatened. yet, when someone in management or HR does something so wrong, it you are all mistaken, it was just a misunderstanding, etc etc

This case sounds like a winner for the woman involved.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

IMHO: Sole female exec instituting a lawsuit only sets women back who hope to obtain positions.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

positions of servitude or worse lesser positions? sure that would be good.

6. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

so true, so how do you see it, something like this: "be quiet, be polite, smile, don't speak up, wear a dress, wear a shorter dress, accept the situation around you - boys will be boys, don't get pregnant and maybe you might get some of what you should, if you wait just a little longer."

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Almost as much as statements like yours.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

That is tricky, isn't it. I mean, Obama probably shouldn't have run for President, because, well, you know some folks aren't comfortable with his ethnic background. Clinton should just have stuck to baking cookies, because, well, you know, some folks aren't comfortable with her being a woman. I mean, people who are not straight WASP males should just be patient because, some folks just aren't comfortable with anybody else in a position of leadership.

:rolleyes:

9. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Adam and Eve shouldn't have got it on. Then all these problems? Solved, "six thousand years ago". ;)

It's all God's fault, everyone else get in line. Yeah even Obama. Back of the line there pal.

10. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

What institution was your ex discriminated by? I wonder if it was mine?

11. 1458279 Suspended

These things are dam hard to prove. Anyone can make a claim, but how can you prove it? Look at the costs of going to court. I've been to court a few times, and it's just a game of lie and deny, it has little to do with justice.

More competition would help, smaller companies competing for best employees, but that's not going to stop the problem.

There's also the issue of being labeled as a lawsuit happy person and that can ruin any job hopes.

Look at what happened in the Valley with Apple/Google/etc making a secret deal not to hire from each other to keep costs down.

The other thing going on concerns age, another hard to prove claim.

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

C'mon. it's so conspicuous. Get one woman in there and you've hired a troublemaker. That's what this lawsuit insinuates.

13. 1458279 Suspended

There is the issue of companies being scared to hire people. If you already have a business with mostly men in upper management, if you hire a woman are you opening yourself up to a lawsuit?

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

A certain Ivy-league school in Boston.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2016 ---
    Oh, for heaven's sake. :rolleyes:

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Seven administrators on my floor, and about 5 other managers. I am the only male, I am not an admin, I am not a manager. Should I cry?

16. 1458279 Suspended

You think different? Lawsuits aren't cheap. One company I worked for had a strict policy of never telling someone why they were let go, just to avoid a lawsuit.

All it takes is a few lawsuits and you're out of business.

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Yes please !!

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

No, not mine.

19. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

You two understand that women comprise roughly half of the human population, right? You're stereotyping ~50% of all humans.

20. 1458279 Suspended

Actually I wasn't even talking about women. There's other things that businesses do that's wrong.

Everything from Age to H1B Visas, etc...

However, sometimes, when the media makes light of things, they hires some "tokens" to keep people happy.

21. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Only if you don't put her in charge. Anyway, if you don't hire one you open yourself up to a lawsuit too.