instruments?

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
wondering about our musically inclined macrumor's members...?

i've played the violin since preschool, trombone for about 7 years, and just started learning guitar about a month ago.

what about you?

and in that vein, can anyone reccomend some good websites for guitar tabs? i've been to a lot of them, but haven't found an interface that i really like yet.

:D

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
gwuMACaddict said:
wondering about our musically inclined macrumor's members...?

i've played the violin since preschool, trombone for about 7 years, and just started learning guitar about a month ago.

what about you?
I've played trombone since I was in junior high school (egads, over twenty years now!) although I don't play regularly now. I played professionally in a dance band in college and did some small group stuff as well; I was never much for legit playing though. My current horn is a King 3B.

I took piano lessons for a few years as a kid, but didn't stick with it (a common mistake). I also learned to play guitar in high school but didn't stick with that either.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Lyle... why you have to quote a post that is above yours? don you think is a waste of space? and you are the first one doing a reply so there is not need to quote :rolleyes:

Any way, I played the xilophone. It was fun.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i play flute and guitar, have for quite some time. I am a music student, though I have been studying composition and production and I havn't been playing as much as I would like.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I can still manage to play a flute... i've always wanted to learn guitar and maybe piano. I have long, thin fingers and everyone remarks about what a good pianist i would be... tho ideally i think you're supposed to start young if you're to be any good...

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
I play the saxophone and clarinet. I've been in quite a few bands. I've been in too many jazz bands to count, concert band since fifth grade (now a freshman in college), a dixie band, and a ska band (<shameless plug>see sig.</shameless plug>). I really should learn flute and complete my triumvirate of woodwinds since it wouldn't be too hard, but I haven't gotten around to it. I've always been a terrible pianist, but now I'm trying to learn. I got this book by Bartók that he wrote for his kid and doesn't teach reading music or anything but is a systematic method to learning the piano. Hopefully it will work...

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Macaddicttt said:
I play the saxophone and clarinet. I've been in quite a few bands... I really should learn flute and complete my triumvirate of woodwinds since it wouldn't be too hard, but I haven't gotten around to it.
I'm not a woodwind player, so I really don't know the answer to this, but isn't the embouchure for flute pretty different from that for the reeds (like sax and clarinet)? Would it really be "not too hard" for you to pick up the flute? Just curious.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
mymemory said:
Lyle... why you have to quote a post that is above yours? don you think is a waste of space? and you are the first one doing a reply so there is not need to quote :rolleyes:
I "don" think it's as much of a waste of space as the space you spent for your little etiquette lesson.

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
I play the piano and study at Europe's best jazz academy. I'm a world champion of performing jazz, awarded in several countries, and has gotten a talent award for being fantastically talented.

It's cool to be able to say such things, but I wouldn't do it to anyone in person...

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Been playing guitar since I was six years old, and I am 22 now.

My guitar collection would finace another hopped up G5 and two 30" Displays. It's quite ridiculous.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I'm a bass player, been playing for over 20 years. I have a 1987 Warwick thumb 5-string.

I'm also a recording engineer, so my first instrument is probably Protools now...

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
I guess my answer's in my sig. I'd love to play the drums, but my house is way too small. Just have to stick with garageband for the beats.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
I play saxophone, flute, and piano. Hoping to make a career out of it.

Also a future mac switcher. Sick of my windows machine :D

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I have been playing piano for one year (wish I'd started many years ago :eek:), and bass guitar for 6 months, and my wife has been playing drums for a year. Oh, and we live in an apartment; yes our neighbours love us! :D

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
I can play most any stringed instrument (can't seem to master the winds though). Currently I have a few guitars, my viola, and a mandolin kicking around the house. There is apparently a trumpet here too; doesn't get much use though.

Jim

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Piano, French Horn (we call saxophones the ****ards of the orchestra: that'll get a rise out of MacAddict :), Trumpet, Guitar, CD player and radio, not necessarily in that order. ;)
X

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Learned trumpet and baritone in middle school. Around the same time, I taught myself how to play guitar, bass guitar, piano, and drums.

Current stuff:

Guitars: 1974 Gibson L6-S Electric
Lotus Steel-String Acoustic

Bass: 1976 Fender Mustang Electric

Piano: Can't remember the exact name of the company. An oldie but goodie that I picked up cheap when a local school upgraded their ivories.

Drums: 6-piece Peavey I bought a couple of years ago. Lucky to have cool roommates who like to wear headphones.

can anyone reccomend some good websites for guitar tabs?
Completely depends on what genre of tab you are looking for. Some general ones I use are Ultimate Guitar, All Guitar Tabs, and Olga.

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I have been messing about with Basses & Guitars since 1982
over they years i have built up a bit of a collection...

Top To Bottom
Roland G-77 - 1986
Warwick Thumb, Thru neck Wenge / Bubinga - 1990
Fender P-Bass, Cherry Sunburst - 1983
Wal Fretless - 1984
Fender Strat, with Goland GK1 pickup - 1988
Vox Teardrop re-issue - 1985
Gibson Corvus - 1983
Norman Acoustic - 1987

I also a few synths, cubase, reason & a Simmons drum kit.

What i dont have is enough time to do much with them! :(

MacConvert2008

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2005
University of Virginia
I've played classical trumpet since about 4th grade, went to a conservatory for the first part of high school, then got into jazz, graduated from a public high school and now i'm in marching band and jazz band at UVa... still keep my Arban's method by my side, but I'm pretty set on going to law school. Kinda sad though, now that i think about it... :(

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Clarinet: 8 years
guitar: 10 years (1 year formal study in classical guitar)

also play some bass, percussion, drums.

currently I am a classical piano major, having all but given up the other instruments. I'm finishing up my degree in classical piano/audio engineering. Now off to do some 4-part writing for theory class.