Insult to Injury: A car filled with donations to help pay for 2 children funeral...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by nateDEEZY, Dec 3, 2007.

1. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Such a sad story! :( Ugh, it only add's insult to injury... really hope the find the car and the theif... i know it's unlikely that they'll get the money back though.

Digg link, followed by actual news article.

2. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

That's absolutely terrible. I hope they're found.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That is really quite tragic- the accident and now this. I hope they find they car and the money if possible. :(

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This could possibly be worse. Imagine if the thief stole the money to pay for injuries to the SUV driver... :(

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They should have hit the first bank ...

Likely somebody that saw them put the cash in the car, creamed their pants at their stupidity. Could be somebody they know, which sucks even more when you think about it.

Sort of like the bait cars being left in high crime areas with the keys in the ignition.

6. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Reading the article I'm not terribly surprised though. It happened in Oakland. The article said "in broad daylight" like thats supposed to be a rare occurrence in Oakland :rolleyes:

It is a sad story. Some people just don't care :(

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, some folks just have no heart at all I guess.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Maybe these thieves didn't know it was for charity? Sorry, I can't read the story. It doesn't show up for me.

9. mpw Guest

How is that worse? Worse than the more likely(but also unproven), used to buy booze or drugs by some low-life joy-rider who could go on and kill more people in an accident?

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I hope the thieves drown while they're swimming in all those coins that people donated.

11. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Why doesn't it surprise me that an SUV was involved in an accident killing passengers of a car....Why are those things still legal? Baffles the mind.

They caught the guy who hit them, hopefully then can catch the thief and they both can rot in jail.

12. mpw Guest

Are you hard to surprise? You think they'd have been okay getting hit by another car at 80mph?

SUVs are only more dangerous than cars under certain conditions, the most important being the condition of the driver's competence.

You've obviously seen more information about this case than is presented here, so maybe your call for the SUV driver to rot in hell might be valid, but I've seen nothing to suggest it couldn't just have been a tragic accident.

13. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

No, the fact of the matter is SUV's have a higher center of gravity. Their bumper line is (in some cases) as high as my rear window when they are behind me.

There was some mandate that only allowed certain heights on vehicles, I guess it got overturned. If an SUV smashed into my little VW GTI and it's impact point is anything BUT my bumpers (in a front or rear collision) then I'm totally screwed. Manufacturers account for side collisions and front/rear collisions with certain crashes in mind. For front/rear they plan for your bumper supports to take the brunt of the impact, not your rear trunk, or hood.. or in extreme cases windshields/windows.

Side collisions are bit more covered these days, though.

14. mpw Guest

I don't disagree with anything you said, but it's not a counter or answer to what I posted, other than giving a couple of examples to confirm my point, thanks.

I still say that as cars are crash tested at between 18mph(side) and 40mph(frontal) you can't jump to blame a death following an 80mph impact on the fact that it involved a SUV.

15. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

The bumpers of a factory-height SUV is not substantially higher than any other factory-height vehicle, and certainly not 3-4 feet off the ground in order to be at your rear window level. I drive a fullsize truck and it's front bumper is only a few inches higher than my car's bumpers.

16. klymr macrumors 65816

Agreed. Even my truck with a 3 inch lift doesn't have a bumper that much higher than most cars. How do I know? I used it to push my car across the yard, and my car sits lower than a lot of other cars. Maybe that VW needs to be raised off the ground. ;)

My aunt and uncle were hit by a CAR while driving their SUV and the car went up the hood of the SUV and crushed the whole front passenger side of their vehicle before launching off the roof and into a roll. My aunt had the worst injuries of all because she was in the passenger side of the SUV as the car went over. The other guy was ok in the car BTW. I think he fell asleep at the wheel and woke up as he was going over their vehicle. Scary stuff.