Insurance Claim Dillema: 2.26ghz or 2.53ghz?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrwashi, Mar 22, 2010.

  1. mrwashi macrumors newbie

    Mar 1, 2010
    Hi guys

    Few weeks ago I dropped my vaio TZ series laptop into oblivion so the insurance company has decided to replace the laptop and give me a store credit.

    I'm from New Zealand (fyi) and they gave me 2260 bucks to spend at a store.

    My dillema is this:

    I can get a 2.26 base mbp for 1865 and spend some money on accessories and or anything in the store

    Or get a 2.53 mbp for 2590 dollars but spend an extra 326 dollars.

    I already have a White Unibody Macbook with 4g ram and 500g hard drive which I will have transfered over to the pro, but I'm just wondering if its worth the 320 dollars more to get the best one, considering there might be an update soon etc.

    Any thoughts appreciated.
  2. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

    Ice Dragon

    Jun 16, 2009
    Is saving your money and waiting for the MBP update an option? If not, take the 2.23 GHz.
  3. perryj macrumors member

    Sep 4, 2007
    get the 2.53 and sell the white MB to make up the difference :D
  4. stonyc macrumors 65816


    Feb 15, 2005
    If you have to buy now, 2.26 + Applecare + Software/Accessories sounds good. Basically then, the insurance will have paid for the Applecare and the software and/or accessories.
  5. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a


    Jan 22, 2008
    St. Louis, MO.

    Depends what you need. Can you save the credit for a few months?

    The low end Macbook is not much better than the White Macbook. If you can wait that would be best. If you need a computer now, consider the Macbook and then get an iPad.
  6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

    Jan 20, 2010
    If he has insurance, why get AppleCare? That's like double-insuring it... what's the point? The OP is already covered.

    Also, there's no such thing as a "white unibody MacBook Pro". You have a white MacBook. Just saying...

    The computers you're looking at aren't stupendously better than your existing MB. Your best bet would be to sell your MB and use the combined funds to purchase a 15" MBP with a discrete card.
  7. mrwashi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 1, 2010
    Saving the money is ok but I only have I think one month to use the credit up and also I wont be in the country as I will be leaving for perth australia for 6 months.
  8. mrwashi thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 1, 2010
    I don't think I've stated my needs very well for you guys:

    1. Just need a laptop that i will use for some light/normal work (surfing the web etc basically a bedside computer) and used for when I'm traveling
    2. Will be out of the country and in Perth for 6 months and need it before then, which is before April 3.
    3. Store Credit I believe is only a month old.

    What's also giving me the headache is, the MBP 2.26ghz usually is rrp $2000 and the store where I got the credit for sells them for $1865 which is $65 dollars more expensive than the education discounted MBP proce of $1800.

    Or what about buy another white Macbook and pay 350 dollars more for a 2.26 Mac Mini? lol
  9. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000


    Nov 14, 2008
  10. vant macrumors 65816

    Jul 1, 2009
  11. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

    Apr 2, 2009
    AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage. I have AppleCare on mine and theft/accident coverage through State Farm Insurance.

Share This Page