Insurance overlapping?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dominion155, Oct 6, 2012.

1. dominion155 macrumors member

Hello everyone! So I just bought a black Iphone 5 32gb (only a MINISCULE scruff on side, dont even notice its there unless you do an OCD comb over.)

With ATT you have the 7 dollars a month insurance with two claims. Does this insurance overlap apple insurance or do they work side by side? (example: if i get a replacement at apple and it is faulty, can I get another replacement from ATT with the insurance claims?)

Thanks guys!

2. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I'll assume if the serial number on AT&Ts records don't match, you'll have issues with a claim.

3. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Always stay away from carrier insurance if you own an iPhone.

Example:

AT&T Insurance is $7/mo with a $199 deductible.

Apple out of warranty replacement is $229 for iPhone 5.

The only benefit of having carrier insurance is theft/loss coverage. I'd rather save the $7 month.

4. dominion155 thread starter macrumors member

The thing is though, I doubt ill need Applecare for my phone. I was just thinking as a "back up" of sorts.

All of my past phones have not had insurance, because I have not needed it. Any manufacture defects can be replaced for free within a year of the iphone purchase. So i bet ill be covered with that.

Is it really worth having apple care if you are careful?

5. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Not talking about Applecare. I am talking about out of warranty replacement.

Here are options:

Carrier insurance - $7/mo, $199 deductible (2 replacements per year) <--- COVERS THEFT/LOST

Best Buy insurance - (if you bought at BB) $10/mo, no deductible

Squaretrade - $94 fee, then $50 deductible (up to 4 replacements)

Applecare+ - $99, then $50 per replacement (up to 2 replacements)

Genius Out of Warranty replacement - $229

I personally choose to save the upfront costs on insurance by not having any. I have never broken an iPhone and don't ever plan to. But on the off chance I do drop it and break it, $229 isn't much more than $99+$50... so I'll take that gamble.

But I absolutely think using more than 1 insurance option ('backup") is a waste of money. I also really think carrier insurance is a waste on an iPhone.... considering Apple's OoW option.

6. dominion155 thread starter macrumors member

Oh I see what you mean! I didnt know apple had an out of warranty option. Yea, it would probably be better to just pay upfront cost when you need it, compared to paying the normal fee when you dont need it.

Thanks!!