integrating music copied off ipod with Senuti with existing iTunes library

Discussion in 'iPod' started by desertmonkey, Aug 27, 2007.

1. desertmonkey macrumors newbie

Hello,
    My music library is about 70GB, which is too big for my MacBook Pro's hard drive, so I store the music files on an external hard drive.

Recently, that hard drive was dropped on a hard floor and no longer mounted, so I couldn't recover the music there. So, I used Senuti to copy the files off my 80GB iPod onto a new external hard drive. So far, so good.

Now, I'm trying to integrate/associate (not sure of the correct verb here) the files on my external hard drive with my already existing iTunes library. In Senuti, I dragged the iPod library onto the iTunes folder and it proceeded to add the songs to iTunes. Now I have duplicate entries of the songs in iTunes. And sometimes the original songs can't seem to find the files on the new hard drive, even tho I'm pointing my iTunes library to this new drive.

I guess I can start with a clean new iTunes database, then just add the songs from Senuti, and all should work, but I was hoping to keep my existing database to make sure all songs are there (that iTunes didn't remove anything when it first tried to sync when I connected the iPod).

One reason why I'd like to keep the original songs is so the date added is the actual date, not the day I readded everything from Senuti, i.e., today.

At least, if the original songs can play in iTunes after it's been readded, I can find and delete the new ones by sorting on the date added. But I first have to go through and check each song in iTunes, which is quite a job considering I have almost 15000 songs in my DB!

Anyone have any advice on a better method?

Many thanks,
    pete

2. Black Belt macrumors 6502a

Black Belt

Oh you want iTunes to be intuitive! Heheheheheheh.

3. desertmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, silly me

I know, I'm asking a lot!

I did find out one interesting nugget. When I first was adding music back into iTunes, because I left "Copy files into the iTunes directory" checked, iTunes was storing all the new songs in a hidden directory in the /Volumes directory. It quickly ate up all my remaining disk space! Thankfully, someone helpful at Senuti pointed that out to me.

Now I'm just trying to get the two apps to play nicely (enough) together. But I'm still going through song my song at the moment. Ugh.