Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
What client is to be used on Intel Machines, and which client is best for use on the Xeon Quad?

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Lucky you, having a Mac Pro I presume! For now, folding is simulated trough Rosetta, it isn't native yet for the Intel procs. So for a quad core the best app you can use is Increase, it uses all four cores.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
the best would be the native windows client if you have windows installed

then you can run at native speed, or leave it on overnight if u dont want to use windows. i bet the dual xeon would be like having a bunch of normal p4s

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Dreadnought said:
Lucky you, having a Mac Pro I presume! For now, folding is simulated trough Rosetta, it isn't native yet for the Intel procs. So for a quad core the best app you can use is Increase, it uses all four cores.

Well, actually, I work at CompUSA, and all the Macs (All Intel, now) are on all Day, doing nothing anyway. I figured I may as well make their power usage worthwhile.

Hell, if I could find an automated script for Windows that would launch upon bootup I'd put it on all the PCs as well.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
neoelectronaut said:
Well, actually, I work at CompUSA, and all the Macs (All Intel, now) are on all Day, doing nothing anyway. I figured I may as well make their power usage worthwhile.

Hell, if I could find an automated script for Windows that would launch upon bootup I'd put it on all the PCs as well.
if u have admin privs, all u need to do is:

download the windows console client (the command line one)
put it in a folder
open a terminal window (run -> cmd.exe)
launch it
3rd option on intial setup is: Launch automatically as a system service on system startup (yes/no)

thats all there is to it. to make it easier if ur gonna do it a bunch of times, u could set it up one on a memory stick and then just copy the folder over, making sure it installs the service. even if the machines dont have internet access you could put the client on there, let it finish a WU, then copy it onto a memory stick, then upload it from a machine that does.

Antigens

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2003
Adamstown, MD
Hello,

I'm a newbe to the Mac world and have my first Mac. It's a Macbook Pro and I have it running the new Beta SMP. It's fast, I can get a 587 pointer in 15hrs.:)

Antigens

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2003
Adamstown, MD
I had trouble getting it to work at first also. The instructions from FAH were not newbie friendly which I need. Check the link below. The main thing missing from the FAH directions is when it asked for memory the number was HUGE change this to 2048 or how much memory you have. I did get an early end work unit for the first unit then re-loaded and very smooth sailing after.

I also was running SETI on this laptop, your right it Screams!! Was crushing my AMD X2 4200 500 vs 950 for the Mac. Folding runs cooler don't know exact temps just feeling bottom.

http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic16826.html

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Folding will run cooler as you may have noticed it does not use all of your CPU power. This has to do with keeping all processes in sink since its working on one WU.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I had trouble getting it to work at first also. The instructions from FAH were not newbie friendly which I need. Check the link below. The main thing missing from the FAH directions is when it asked for memory the number was HUGE change this to 2048 or how much memory you have. I did get an early end work unit for the first unit then re-loaded and very smooth sailing after.

I also was running SETI on this laptop, your right it Screams!! Was crushing my AMD X2 4200 500 vs 950 for the Mac. Folding runs cooler don't know exact temps just feeling bottom.

http://forum.folding-community.org/ftopic16826.html

thanks, i might try folding again when i get a chance. right now i'll just let SETI run. I'm trying to get higher on the macrumors team. right now i'm 17, and i just started like 2 days ago!

i've got to study anyways. maybe i'll setup folding tomorrow after my finals

theoarno

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2006
I just started folding with a Quad Core Mac PRO
with the
Mac OS X
(Intel)
SMP client w/
Installer

From first glances it is taking about 4min 45sec to complete one percent of the unit. When the Credit came across my folding account it appeared at 1 Processor
the time limit for the unit is about 2 days so this should get them done in about 9 hours when the computer is not doing other tasks.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I just started folding with a Quad Core Mac PRO
with the
Mac OS X
(Intel)
SMP client w/
Installer

From first glances it is taking about 4min 45sec to complete one percent of the unit. When the Credit came across my folding account it appeared at 1 Processor
the time limit for the unit is about 2 days so this should get them done in about 9 hours when the computer is not doing other tasks.

Yes it really pumps out the points. I used to use it for a week or so then whenever it launched it would crash the computer. Applications would no longer start or quit. So currently I am not folding. I have tried many times posting in the private beta forums they don't even reply to it anymore. So I have given up until I get time to reinstall and see if that fixes it. Even the latest semi-public builds still don't run for me.....

theoarno

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2006
I have also installed it on A late 2006 iMac, Macbook Pro, and a Macbook . All of them have returned units so far.
THe MacBook and MacBook pro fans run at top speed after about 5 minutes of folding.
I have not experienced crashing with any of the compuers. However if you log out of the user and then back in the client will not restart.
A reboot of the computer then restarts the process.

theoarno

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2006
I have added a couple of more MacBooks to the group.
The portables seem to run at full fan speed whe the SMP client is running.
I have seem to be getting about 6 to 7 percent failure to complete a unit but to date all of my 9 machines seem to be able to run the units and other applications.
I haven't had any of the issues that trainguy77 has described.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
My processes with the intel SMP client don't seem to be doing much of anything. Top shows them, but ther CPU time seems to stay at 0:00.15. I've tried both the installer and the manual client with -local as an argument. Am I doing something wrong here?

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
2 clients, 13 cores???

OK... Is this normal????

I found out about folding from a sig and decided to give it a try. I downloaded Increase on my C2D MB did some adjusting based on the tips, and then got it going.

Right now the the MB is hot and the fan is fairly loud.

picture2vl8.png

picture1hw5.png

Is it normal to have this many cores listed in the Activity moniter????

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I had trouble getting it to work at first also. The instructions from FAH were not newbie friendly which I need. Check the link below. The main thing missing from the FAH directions is when it asked for memory the number was HUGE change this to 2048 or how much memory you have.
You have gone in the advanced setup. This isn't really necessary for normal folding. If you allocate 64 MB to it when you get that question, it's enough/is the normal ram allocation.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
OK... Is this normal????
I found out about folding from a sig and decided to give it a try. I downloaded Increase on my C2D MB did some adjusting based on the tips, and then got it going.

Right now the the MB is hot and the fan is fairly loud.

Is it normal to have this many cores listed in the Activity moniter????
You only should have 2 cores. When you have 13 cores... You probably have installed it more then once. Or you still have old folding apps which have gone bad when quitting these. Stop all folding in Increase or type remove in the terminal. It should be o.k. then. Maybe you will need to startup increase again and it probably download a couple of new WU. Furthermore your laptop will run hot. The processor is pomping data and is at it 100%, so it will get hot!

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
You only should have 2 cores. When you have 13 cores... You probably have installed it more then once. Or you still have old folding apps which have gone bad when quitting these. Stop all folding in Increase or type remove in the terminal. It should be o.k. then. Maybe you will need to startup increase again and it probably download a couple of new WU. Furthermore your laptop will run hot. The processor is pomping data and is at it 100%, so it will get hot!

Yeah, I did try installing it several times. I couldn't get the option to uninstall InCrease, so I just Spotlighted it and removed the program and folders. Might be dumb, but where is the terminal for me to remove the WU?

An unrelated question... On my iMac (G5), I have Increase downloaded and everything seems to be running fine. Right now I'm about 14% through a WU. Under points there is a "--" ... Is that normal and will points be awarded when I am finished with the WU?

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
The terminal is under applications/ (and then in that other folder, how is it called!?!?! Sorry, have everything in Dutch!!). This is where you can give linux commands to your Mac.

If you haven't finished a WU yet, you haven't received any points. Furthermore I hope you have put your correct name and teamnumber in Increase, else you will fold for the other Mac team! Remember, our team is 3446!!

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
The terminal is under applications/ (and then in that other folder, how is it called!?!?! Sorry, have everything in Dutch!!). This is where you can give linux commands to your Mac.

If you haven't finished a WU yet, you haven't received any points. Furthermore I hope you have put your correct name and teamnumber in Increase, else you will fold for the other Mac team! Remember, our team is 3446!!

Thanks. I was able to find it (Applications > Utilities > Terminal), and using some info from another forum I was able to update InCrease to the beta for Intel Macs.

How is the MacRumors team doing? I found out about folding via a members sig advertising team 1971.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
I used to fold a few years ago with my g3 ibook. I started the other day with my 2.66quad intel. I folding in 1 day more than I had for months of folding on my g3... and its running under rosetta???

ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.