Intel Gainestown Xeon W5580 quoted as "in stock" by some retailers

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hubiedubie, Jan 28, 2009.

  1. hubiedubie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    #1
  2. vogelhausdesign macrumors regular

    vogelhausdesign

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Location:
    Columbus, Ohio
    #2
    I hate posts like these.. especially when I'm torn between buying now , and waiting..

    good post, good info. I wonder if it means anything..
     
  3. hubiedubie thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    #3
    I'm in the same boat, think I'm going to wait though.
     
  4. oban14 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2008
    #4
    You should wait. I'm thinking about upgrading when they come out myself.
     
  5. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2002
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #5
    Arg. No kidding. I just put my 2x2.8 order on hold, but I can't wait more than a few weeks at most. I have to begin production on a documentary really soon and want to have the best machine possible. I just don't want to kick myself for not waiting two or three weeks more..
     
  6. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #6
    I don't know about the first store, but the second appear to charge credit cards then fail to ship for a lengthy period (a known scam).

    For anyone waiting the safest bet would be "at least two months" from today. And the next day, and the next until Intel set a release date.
     
  7. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #7
    Just out of curiosity, I looked up both sites on resellerratings.

    Compumusic 8.18 lifetime (no six month rating)
    Thenerds.net 3.75 six month/ 5.99 lifetime (not wonderful, and makes me too nervous to ever buy from them)
     
  8. robinp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2008
    #8
    it's clear the reason we hear nothing is due to an NDA

    The more time goes by, the more it is clear to me that information is not forthcoming due to Intel's NDA. Why else would there by such silence? With this in mind it is quite possible that a couple of small retailers might have a couple in stock prior to a widespread lifting of the NDA and accidentally put them up for sale. Still, I wouldn't trust them with my money.... but I think there will be a sudden flood of information as soon as the NDA is lifted... whenever that is?!
     
  9. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #10
    I would think we'll see more information soon, as it tends to become available say a month, possibly two before release. They need to get users hyped up to generate sales. :D :p Not as much lead as the desktop parts get though. Smaller audience I guess. :rolleyes:

    Of course, we could get lucky, and a couple of articles will surface just a tad sooner. ;)
     

Share This Page