Intel reveals their new PC design concept

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Mudbug said:
the term "flagrant copy" comes to mind.
Yep, we stole another fantastic Wintel idea. :D

Sort of wish Apple would stop stealing Wintel intellectual property and making it to market before them. ;)

schmooze

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2004
Score the center lines and stick an LCD clock on it...

Design: "Umm, how do we make it look like we didn't rip off the Mini?"

Marketing: "Just draw some center lines with your X-acto and stick one of those LCD clocks on the front of it... noone will notice."

looklost

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2002
Chicago Suburbs
creativity among computer makers

"The chipmaker often uses its twice-yearly developer events to try to spur creativity among computer makers."

What by showing them a concept rip-off of the mac mini? :confused:

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Can't apple sue them over this?
It's hilarious to see competitors trying to try their hardest to compete against apple, but I think that apple should use most of their legal team for suing companies that rip the design of their products or not (if apple has it trademarked or whatnot) instead of spending all the resources on people who leak insider info

montex

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Seattle, WA
Shameful. Absolutely shameful. To think Intel is associating themselves with this embarrassing design clone. I don't know how they can sleep at night knowing that they have to go to work the next day and try to copy Apple's products instead of creating something new. Take heart that a few years back a company tried to copy the original iMac and got their pants sued off. Lets hope history repeats itself.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
SilvorX said:
Can't apple sue them over this?
It's hilarious to see competitors trying to try their hardest to compete against apple, but I think that apple should use most of their legal team for suing companies that rip the design of their products or not (if apple has it trademarked or whatnot) instead of spending all the resources on people who leak insider info

no not really because apple could turned around and be sued on the same reason. It was PC side first that came up with the idea of micro PC. Apple copied it and then marketed it. the diffence is apple made it bigger because they get all the free press coverage

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Timelessblur said:
no not really because apple could turned around and be sued on the same reason. It was PC side first that came up with the idea of micro PC. Apple copied it and then marketed it. the diffence is apple made it bigger because they get all the free press coverage
Sure the micro PC existed prior to Apple's Mac mini, but the two certainly have different properties and most important - to this discussion - appearance.

I think many are also confusing form factor (and by extension, trade dress) with design concept.

Intel has demo'd a design concept. If it were an actual product, I have every bit of confidence that Apple would file suit claiming trade dress infringement. The visual similarities are too close. Remember eMachines' all-in-one?

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Remember eMachines' all-in-one?
I do, they looked EXACTLY like Power Macintosh 5500's or so, I remember when I first saw an eMachine all in one.. back then I was mainly using the Power Macs at school, and I thought it looked almost identical to the Power Mac.. was pretty expensive though.. what you expect, eMachines sucked ever since they started

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
slooksterPSV said:
Yup I can say "FLAGRANT COPY!!!!" Intel pizzes me off. They are nothing but low down theifs!
I think what they did was in poor taste, but I also feel they were very calculated in what they did.

My hope is that Apple turns this around to their advantage. I'd love to see Jobs say something like, "Intel likes the Mac mini so much they wish they had created it..." Though, in the end, maybe its better that we as a community admonish Intel all the way into the mainstream news. :)

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
That is absolutely disgusting. :mad: I don't think Intel or Microsoft have ever had an original product. They always take other companies' ideas, ugly them up a bit, and call it their own. I'm waiting for them to come out with a software package called eLife or eWork. :rolleyes:

Daniel

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
dsharits said:
That is absolutely disgusting. :mad: I don't think Intel or Microsoft have ever had an original product. They always take other companies' ideas, ugly them up a bit, and call it their own. I'm waiting for them to come out with a software package called eLife or eWork. :rolleyes:

Daniel

Sony walkman

MS office, MS works

Also remeber Apple DID NOT come up with the micro computer thing. It had been out for years before hand so apple copied the idea as well.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Timelessblur said:
Sony walkman

MS office, MS works

Also remeber Apple DID NOT come up with the micro computer thing. It had been out for years before hand so apple copied the idea as well.
The walkman was not a Microsoft or Intel product, it was Sony. MS Office and MS (doesn't)works do not have features like Pages or GarageBand and they have yet to come up with something like iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD. Finally, the micro PC was around before, but it wasn't as small or as cheap.

Daniel

24C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2004
Timelessblur said:
snip...Also remeber Apple DID NOT come up with the micro computer thing. It had been out for years before hand so apple copied the idea as well.
No, they didn't copy the idea of making things smaller, as it's quite natural to scale products down in the electronics industry...other examples are micro 'hifis' and televisions. The difference here with the Mac mini is it's a good compromise because it uses mobile components and it's affordable...surprisingly lots of things that are smaller normally cost more.
If a Intel based PC had attempted to go this small, you might well have called it a "bedsit cooker with a view", because it would come with a hot plate, sound like a fan oven and have Windows.
Talking of micro computers, wasn't the Sinclair ZX81 or Spectrum one of these ;)

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
24C said:
No, they didn't copy the idea of making things smaller, as it's quite natural to scale products down in the electronics industry...other examples are micro 'hifis' and televisions. The difference here with the Mac mini is it's a good compromise because it uses mobile components and it's affordable...surprisingly lots of things that are smaller normally cost more.
If a Intel based PC had attempted to go this small, you might well have called it a "bedsit cooker with a view", because it would come with a hot plate, sound like a fan oven and have Windows.
Talking of micro computers, wasn't the Sinclair ZX81 or Spectrum one of these ;)

dude to make the power of the mini mac Intel already has proven they can do it with cheap desktop chips. there are a lot of laptops running around with higher end P4 Desktop chips in them and they dont have problems. nor produce huge amonts of heat.

I am sorry but to many of you pretty much dont know much about the electoric or software world. You know what apple does but reltivley little about the non big new stuff. Apple gets a huge amount of press coverage and the others dont.

Btw MS has WMP long before itunes it just more was add. I seen pages and it pretty well agreed that is it crap compared to Word. Microsoft came up with Office and iWorks is pretty much trying to blantanly copy them but mac using say was to go but the 2nd any one remotly copies apple you guys jump all over them. I sorry but it very hypicratly since apple blantly copies stuff as well and everyone just say WAY TO GO keep at it.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Timelessblur said:
Sony walkman

MS office, MS works

Nobody is arguing who came up with the "micro computer thing". It's not relevant anyway. By your notion, nobody should be able to make a tower, or a laptop, or a cube ... because someone came up with the idea first.

The fact that the Intel "concept" computer LOOKS almost EXACTLY like the Mac mini is most certainly fruit for discussion.

impierced

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2002
Timelessblur said:
dude to make the power of the mini mac Intel already has proven they can do it with cheap desktop chips. there are a lot of laptops running around with higher end P4 Desktop chips in them and they dont have problems. nor produce huge amonts of heat.

I am sorry but to many of you pretty much dont know much about the electoric or software world. You know what apple does but reltivley little about the non big new stuff. Apple gets a huge amount of press coverage and the others dont.

Btw MS has WMP long before itunes it just more was add. I seen pages and it pretty well agreed that is it crap compared to Word. Microsoft came up with Office and iWorks is pretty much trying to blantanly copy them but mac using say was to go but the 2nd any one remotly copies apple you guys jump all over them. I sorry but it very hypicratly since apple blantly copies stuff as well and everyone just say WAY TO GO keep at it.
And QuickTime predates WMP, what exactly is your point?

I don't normally correct people on their spelling or grammar, but come on "dude".

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Thanks, Intel for the free Mac Mini publicity!

"Someday, we envision doing what Apple already has on the shelves!"

O/T, this surreal sentence in the article caught my eye:

"The service, which offers more than 100 movies on demand..."

Sign me up!

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
impierced said:
Nobody is arguing who came up with the "micro computer thing". It's not relevant anyway. By your notion, nobody should be able to make a tower, or a laptop, or a cube ... because someone came up with the idea first.

The fact that the Intel "concept" computer LOOKS almost EXACTLY like the Mac mini is most certainly fruit for discussion.

I more stating it not a big deal. to be honest I was not impressed with the mac mini for it being small. I think it was a good deal but I was not really impressed by it.

I see a computer tower I could care less about it or what it looks like. The hardware set up is more imporanted to me and saws more to me. I not impress by a fancy looking case. Yeah it looks nice but it means noughitng in the end.

It the OH they copied apple flame them.

Some point out how it not a big deal or points out apple does it as well oh that person gets flamed. Apple takes little not well known things makes them and then claim them as there own. Makes them big and claim them as their own even though they are a blanted copy. No flames apple when they do it but when some copies apple even a little it flame them and bash them.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Actually, Apple's trend has been doing things RIGHT.

Sometimes first, sometimes just first to do it right--like HD music players.

The iPod and the Mac Mini are not just Apple successfully marketing an old idea. They are an old idea done in a new and better WAY. That's why you don't see links to compact PCs that really stand toe-to-toe with the uniqueness of the Mini. The Mini's in an old category, but it DOES break new ground--as many Mac-hating fans of compact PCs have been happy to point out, in the hopes that PC companies will catch up.

Appearance is only ONE facet of what Apple has achieved with the Mini, and it's a great one--many people DO care about how things in their home look. But appearance is not the whole story--that's an age-old stereotype about Macs.

Except in this case, where appearance IS the whole story, since all Intel HAS is a mock-up :D

You'd think they could have at least made it a different color.