Intel will buy Apple and they will dominate microsoft

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
BS.
Any company that have competed directly against microsoft have come off second best... either by microsoft merit, or otherwise ( mostly, otherwise IMO - i.e., dodgy business practices, using its monopoly as an unfair advantage etc).

Intel are fairly dependent on microsoft.. apple's processor needs are a drop in the ocean compared to all those pcs being sold.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Mudbug said:
and monkeys might fly out of my butt.
Just as long as they are dancing monkeys.

Right now Apple without Steve Jobs is doomed ... and I don't expect he'd stick around after a buyout.

So Intel's biggest and most interesting play is to work with Apple moving the PC platform forward, not trying to capture as much revenue as they can like they did during the Rambus fiasco.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I don't normally comment on news items, but this one takes the cake. Just read it line by line - every single point is totally misintepreted. What a waste of webspace that article is.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"Next week, on Sci Fi..."

Some interesting points mixed with blatant misunderstandings.

But it's meant to be sensationalistic I suppose.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I wish I could get paid to just make stuff up. But hey, Apple's gone Intel, anything could happen. Next they'll be bought by Disney. :p

( I guess I shouldn't joke like that :shudder: )

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Color-screen iPods, Intel Macs, sub-$500 headless Mac...

If Apple and Disney merge and they sell a tablet, the Mac rumor scene will simply implode and be gone forever....

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
I agree, this is a terrible article given everything that's aready been written that is far more concise and just more likely.

BUT, it did lead me to dream of one or two future headlines:

New York Times: 6 June 2009

"Apple and Intel blow the doors off Microsoft"....

or:

"Apple blows the doors off Microsoft"

Everything said in the article is bull, but I like the bit about Microtosh being smashed to bits. As said, it's a pipedream, but either of those headlines would be cool...

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
I was just checking to see if this one had been picked up after coming across a summary of the article at MacWorld UK. It makes a lot of sense in terms of what has happened but it remains to be seen whether it is circumstantial or whether there really is a move going on.

Regardless as to whethr or not it is true, I personally hope that it isn't because it may be the death of the Mac hardware. I'm sure that the OS and application support will continue (and, ultimately, that's the real reason for a computer) but if they plan to make a move on Microsoft by expanding production to include OEMs then that's the end (most probably) of the wonderful designs of Apple and utter chaos will ensue. No doubt such a move will enable Intel/Apple to grab a good slice of the PC market but I'd hate to see the hardware go towards the uninspiring format of the traditional PC.

In the end, as much as I'd like to see Apple holding a larger slice of the PC market, I'd rather have the current systems and designs rather than another cookie-cutter PC with Mac OS installed on it.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Cool, thanks to link. Although the article made some good points such as the G5 being better and etc and also said some bad points such as apple should of choose cell instead of intel/amd, even though the cell is not a pc processor.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Yep, Cell wouldn't have worked on its own and AMD would have given potentially the same supply problems as IBM did. The lack of a decent mobile AMD doesn't help either. If Apple were going to move away from the PowerPC range, they probably made the right decision.

2GMario

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2004
i dont beleive every single comment on this has been that its BS, a lie, this guy is on crack, etc...

i "dont" think itll happen, but why is it so hard to beleive ?

xBox 1 was Intel's closest thing to getting into the family room as a set top box. who ever at MS decided it wasent the right time and went with a game console with a few extra's (dvd, mp3)

but round 2 is here, and both xBox 360 and ps3 are closer to set top box's than they ever were and everyone, yes, all 3, have gone with IBM, which leaves Intel out in the cold

We also know Apple is perfectly capable of writing amazing software. ease of use, doesnt crash, minimal bugs, etc...

We know Apple wants in to the family room, we see this slightly with the Mac Mini, more so with iTunes now doing video (even if just right now music videos), h.264, the ipod etc...

I dont have a Tivo, i dont really have a use for one, but i know alot of people do and alot of people watch alot of TV.

The family room is a natural progression. Apple for amazing, ease of use, crazy ideas that work. Intel with a strong stream of reliable, cheap, good performance processors, and Tivo with the established tv / holiwood (speculation) connections Apple needs to clear this with, to make it all happen as easy as we have come to expect from Apple.

Lets not forgot, aside from your random driver for what what ever, Intel doesnt make software. If your Intel, and at the present time, absolutly hate MS, who else will you turn to, to drive new processors / motherboards out the door ?

Is it far fetched ? probably, is it impossible ? doubtful. The Adobe / Macromedia merger is a bigger merger than Intel buying / merging with Apple in my opinion.

I've worked for many big corporations, and corporate politics are hard to understand. There is so much more to this story that Intel, Apple, etc... are not releasing right now cause its not time, or none of anyones business right now. You never want to let the competition (MS) know what your thinking, especially if your strugling (Yes, both apple and intel struggle now adays).

and not struggling - going out of business soon, but how many of us have waiting to buy a powerbook cause it doesnt have a G5 yet ?

how many of us will continue to wait on the powerbook until it hits 2.0, 2.5ghz ?

there was a study the other day, laptops out sell desktops, hands down. why ? cause now adays, no one wants to be stuck with a expensive pc that cant be used in the kitchen, at the coffee shop, at the office, etc...

The Fall of MS is coming, and itll be served by Apple and friends. Will they fall to total folding of the company ? hell will freeze over first, but will they loose their strong hold, if any, on consumer pc's ? probably soon.

3 cents today
-Mario

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
The real reason this is idea is stupid...

is that Intel gains nothing from owning Apple that it doesn't get from working with Apple, except a guarantee of exclusivity.

And Apple already has a good record of being patient will chip suppliers that either lie or neglect their customers. All Intel has to do is be truthful with Apple and they will be their exclusive chip supplier forever.

With this relationship, Intel gains the benefit of sticking it to Microsoft without the cost of having to deal with all of those Apple employees (not to mention the demanding, opinionated customers (you think our rabid loyalty comes for free ;-))).

I'm not sure how the cultures of Intel and Apple would mix anyway, and that is one intangible factor that is probably one of the most critical in determining the success of a merger. The Compaq-DEC merger is one of the most egregious failed mergers because of the culture clash.

An Intel-Apple merger makes no sense, but these days we are told a lot of things that make no sense but happen anyways. In the case of Apple's adoption of Intel chips, the craziness of the deal was mitigated by the secret facts that OS X has been on Intel for five years and (probably) that IBM's real roadmap is very disappointing.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Well, if you actually think about it, it does make quite a bit of sense.

And don't forget:

A year ago, you would have all gone nuts on a newb if he said Apple should go to Intel.

Don't be so quick to predict ;)

cube

macrumors P6
May 10, 2004
What is this guy doing writing about tech? Completely ignores consumer EMT64 chips.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
It might be true enough that Intel believes it can woo Steve into a deal to take over the reins of Apple, playing on his desire to crush Bill Gates under his bootheel. That portion of the op ed piece (can't bring myself to call it an article. lends too much credence) seems logical enough, given the diminishing sphere of influence Intel seems to have with M$ and the settop box world of game consoles. It would certainly be a feather in their cap. They see Apple is on the rise, and it may be the only chance they see on their current horizon to keeep stretching their boundaries.

OTOH, maybe it's just a processor switch.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
what has changed this year - a lot of users did go nuts ;-)

Josh said:
Well, if you actually think about it, it does make quite a bit of sense.

And don't forget:

A year ago, you would have all gone nuts on a newb if he said Apple should go to Intel.

Don't be so quick to predict ;)