intellectual property rights - reselling my old memory forbidden

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by XPcentric, Aug 17, 2011.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

I received a message from Amazon (real amazon, not spam) about my old listing of the original 2GB memory from the 2008 Macbook Aluminium, which I upgraded:

Amazon message:
    "We are in receipt of a Notice Form from the following party alleging that this listing violates its intellectual property rights:
    GLOBAL MEMORY
    sales@globalmemory.co.uk

We suggest that you contact this party to resolve this dispute. Do not re-list this item until you have resolved this dispute with this party."

I havent checked who is the owner of the rights of the original memory and I dont know if they are right to forbid that.

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

They don't far as I know. There is a rash of inappropriately reported items for infringement claims going on through eBay and amazon lately. They in turn pull the listing immediately with no checking or even human intervention, they say they do it "in good faith" with the parties reporting it and won't accept any blame in inappropriately pulling something because they don't want to get into making a judgement call.

Give their customer service and the reporting party some hell over it, then relist with any changes they suggest to keep it away from their automated reporting system.

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

It's of course not forbidden to re-sell computer memory or any other computer hardware component you've purchased, nor do you infringe on anyone's intellectual (or otherwise) property for doing so.

I'd investigate with your local police precinct if filing false claims like this one falls under some kind of fraud or similar.

4. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I would contact them and see why they reported it; if they give you some BS saying you can't sell it (you can) then just start reporting all of THEIR sales and when they contact you say that you'll release theirs if they release yours.

Now, did you use an image or text from their ads? If so, then they could complain (although text is kinda iffy unless you just copied the whole thing).

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

One thought, did you clearly mark it as used? If they thought it was new they could have grounds to report it.

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

What grounds, you are free to sell any hardware you want. New or used, that's your choice.

7. krburrell macrumors regular

I agree you can sell your hardware new or used!!!

8. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I didn't express that right. You can't give the impression that you are doing business as a different seller, you can resell but it needs to be clear.

9. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, first to say that the my listing was very old, and for a couple of coins it does not matter to me to sell it anymore.

On amazon its different to sell than on eBay. Just press the button sell similar item, and then you dont upload any picture, so amazon is responsible for allowing reuse of picture and description. But what this company did, is they were seeking trouble and trouble is what they will get. Not necessary from me, but you know how many customer you turn away when behaving like that. Now I think I dont need to do anything because this post may show in search engines, but you are aware now of this company's ethics. Shame!